• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Storing pollen

Hi there pepper pros! I wanted to cross some peppers this season, but it seems my peppers are thinking otherwise. The ones I selected for crossing are refusing to flower at the same time! I was wondering if there was a way to store the pollen for a few days. I know people do it for cactuses, but I couldn't find any useful information about pepper pollen.

Does anyone have any idea? 

I know I've read about some people here freezing it, I think in centrifuge tubes for convenience.
It's something I'd like to try, as I'm having the same problem as you.

Viable pollen can be saved for 5-6 days in storage at 0°C and that lifetime can be extended another 6 months with the addition of a dessicant.  Pollen frozen with liquid nitrogen might be viable indefinitely (Bezdíčková, 1988).

Thats from a report I wrote a few years ago on the subject. I can't actually access the liquid nitrogen paper right now, but here's the citation if somebody wants to go to the library or something.
Bezdickova, A. (1989). Viability of sweet pepper pollen stored at cryogenic temperatures. Bulletin Vyzkumneho a Slechtitelskeho Ustavu Zelinarskeho. Olomouc (Czechoslovakia).

I don't store pepper pollen, but I do breed "other" stuff, and I can keep it for about a year in 70-75 degree temps as long as it is bone dry. Same thing if I store it in the fridge. I have never frozen pollen, so no experience there. Best of luck!!

Thanks for the answers guys! I'm going to try to store some and see how it goes. Fortunately two of the plants I was planning to cross decided to flower together finally. Lemon Drop x Brazilian Starfish, if anyone's interested.

Back