• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Strange leaves

One of my plants dropped two leaves that looked like this today, and another one like it is still on the plant. I have no idea what this is. Virus? Bugs? Nutrient Deficiency? Nothing to worry about?

Also, I picked leafhopper off of the plant today. Don't even know if those hurt plants

DSC00579.jpg

I haven't fertilized it since the about the end of April-early May, because I damaged two plants with too much fertilizer.

Just repotted it to five gal a five days ago. The soil it was in previously is Pro-Mix ultimate organic and the new soil is the much cheaper Pro-Mix all purpose. Also, the plant is dropping flowers and I am OCD about hand pollinating them...lol. Two days of 90 degree plus weather so far this week also.

Taken just after transplanting. I can run out and get a more recent photo/closer photo if needed
DSC00561.jpg

And this is a picture of the rootball I took right before transplanting. I loosened the roots on the bottom and sides a bit before planting it
DSC00560.jpg

New pics. The flecks are cayenne powder spray I put on them to deter dogs that has dried on and dry dirt specs, not aphids, none of them move. Though with the flecks all over it would be hard to tell if I have aphids anyway

DSC00581.jpg

DSC00583.jpg

DSC00584.jpg

DSC00585.jpg

On the chance it might be viral, could you move it away from any other plants... especially other nightshades like tomatoes, eggplant or other peppers. It didn't show up until you moved it into the cheaper potting mix so that could have an effect. If you have any epsom salts handy, try a couple of tablespoons in the root pouch and water it in sparingly. A couple tablespoons of bone meal probably wouldn't hurt either. It's not quick release like chemical fertilizers so it won't burn the plants but it has the right amount of nitrogen, calcium and phosphate for healthy plants. That's what I used on my chiles this year... that, 2-year-old horse manure and wood ashes. If you use the wood ashes, apply them sparingly... water perking through wood ashes is how they used to get lye for soapmaking.

Im willing to bet that leaf came from around the bottom and with just the way it looks that tells me it's an old leaf that aged and the plant dropped it..nothing to worry about you'll see it happen through out the entire season.

-J

my bhuts do this notoriously every year...the bottom giant leaves begin to yellow a bit, then get all funky looking and eventually fall off by themselves. You're plant looks great...I always just go ahead and pop those leaves off when they begin to look worse for wear. My plant eventually looks like some sort of pepper palm tree :P If the new growth on the plants begins to change colors or begin to resemble those leaves then you may have to take some evasive action.

What kind of pepper is it?

Back