• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

breeding Strange pods from Galapagos Red x CGN 21500 Cross

So, last year I crossed my CGN 21500 with my Galapagos red habanero. Both parent plants very much appeared to be growing true. More about this cross can be found here...

http://thehotpepper.com/topic/52843-galapagos-red-habanero-x-cgn-21500-cross/

I got 17 total plants from the seeds from two pods. 1 was growing very stunted so I threw it out. I kept 14 of them for myself, gave one to a friend here in Michigan and I sent one plant to a buddy in Oklahoma. I saw little if no variation at all in the pods of my 14 plants, except the pods from the 7 plants I had planted in the garden grew a bit larger than the pods that grew on the plants grown in pots. An average looking pod is pictured below.

Here's why the weirdness comes in. I just received pictures from my buddy in Oklahoma. The pods he has growing on the plant I sent him look normal towards the bottom of the plant but start looking rounded with stingers towards the top of the plant.

Any ideas what is going on? My understanding, which may be wrong, is that these sort of things don't show up until the next generation, and that there isn't much variation from seeds within the same pod.

Back