• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Strange Purple Jalapeno

I bought some purple Jalapenos seeds during early summer, and because I'm crazy I started a bunch of seeds early, just to try them out. I was trying out a few "new to me" seed companies and wanted to test germination. Well I have a basement corner filled with various hot peppers and they are getting big, and lets see, there is only, 6 more months before they can start going outside.

Anyways some of these have been setting pods, and on one of the purple Jalapenos they are very strange. They are growing upwards. I've noticed a lot of variance in the species - Some purple flowers, some more purplish leaves, some purple around the edge of a white flower, and now this. Anybody else see anything like this? Here are the pics

e9be7cdb.jpg
94f3e251.jpg

The actual peppers seem to be getting up to Jalapeno size just with a more blunt end. Don't mind the Jalapeno M in the background, it wasn't happy about being moved to the back. With the lesser amount of light, less heat, less attention, it wasn't fertilized as much prior to this pic. I think they are getting ready to drop all it's lower leaves. There are at least 5 or 6 rows of 2.5 gallon plants in front of them. With space around the lights being at a premium, the Jalapeno M's are expendable.

i believe all those syptoms r phrom a disease called purplejalapenoitiis. Its normal and nothing to worry about.Based on pics sent by a freind of mine

Lol.... PurpleJalapenoitis .... Sounds Serious .... Hehehe

The seeds came from Tomato growers, I'm not sure what techniques if any they use to isolate their plants / seeds. Part of the reason why I started seeds from the new suppliers early. I didn't want any "real problems" when it came to true go time. You know, like if I'd started these in Feb. only to find out in May I don't have what I want, and then my whole pepper season is ruined :(

Luckily this is not the case, I suspect a possible cross, or maybe it is in the original genetics of the purple Jalapenos. It is obvious that this group is not necessarily stable, as each seedling is a little different (who knows how many parent lines I have in my package). This one really stands out, I'm going to keep an eye on it and may just be keeping seeds from it to see if it is stable.

Back