• Politics are not permitted. There's plenty of places to discuss that elsewhere, and a hot pepper forum is not the place. Thank you for respecting the community!

movies subtitles in movies

Subbing's preferable on excellent flicks such as Pans Labyrinth...how are you supposed to watch any foreign films otherwise??? :rolleyes: dubbing movies on the other hand should be outlawd!!!:crazy::):shocked:

With a lot of films the music that should be in the background is in the foreground and all over the dialogue they should have subs, either that or TONE DOWN the bloody music,
I don't think films should be dubbed, they should be in native tongue then with subs when played to audiences that speak a different lingo

Blown away by this movie last week:

Ong-bak (2003 version )

martial arts so awesome and all done with no digital trickery or modern stunts. Amazing stunt scenes. Fight scenes were "wow'.

I have subtitles on for everything. First started doing it because my hearing in my right ear sucks. Now I just enjoy it. :) I feel it doesn't really take too much away for me.

Just saw this thread... seems everyone has their view about subtitles. Myself ... I hate them !! My lips get tired ....

Peace,
P. Dreadie

I dont mind them but I would rather not have them. My best friend can NOT watch a movie without the subtitles on or she wont understand it. I love her so whenever we rent a movie I already know that subtitles will be on and im used to it by now. On the other hand with movies that have another language and subtitles come on automatically they can be useful that way I can know what the heck is being said OR it can also distract me and make me miss something just because I am reading... So I can still say that they are alright. :cool:

Ok...so I guess I'm the nerd here. I watch many foreign films and do not mind the subtitles. As for Inglorious Bastards ( Tarrentino version ) I rather enjoyed them because I speak German (nice to confirm I haven't lost it), and know enough french to get the jist of it all (but still confirm words I missed) so I LOVED that movie ;)
As a matter of fact my que on Netflix is LOADED with foreign films. Oh well...as I said previously...I'm the nerd here ;)

Ok...so I guess I'm the nerd here. I watch many foreign films and do not mind the subtitles. As for Inglorious Bastards ( Tarrentino version ) I rather enjoyed them because I speak German (nice to confirm I haven't lost it), and know enough french to get the jist of it all (but still confirm words I missed) so I LOVED that movie ;)
As a matter of fact my que on Netflix is LOADED with foreign films. Oh well...as I said previously...I'm the nerd here ;)
I'm not bilingual but I still love subtitles. My hearing sucks so it's nice to have them in case I miss a piece of important dialogue.

I HATE dubbing, I very passionately avoid dubbed films, it really ruins the performance. I know that sometimes subs can be slightly distracting in a visually enthralling film but it's still FAR superior IMHO!

I HATE dubbing, I very passionately avoid dubbed films, it really ruins the performance. I know that sometimes subs can be slightly distracting in a visually enthralling film but it's still FAR superior IMHO!

Si vous jouez aux échecs avec srtip que midget albinos, ça te dérangerait si j'avais des relations sexuelles avec votre sœur tandis que je m'en tiens à ce club de golf dans mon cul?

Sometimes, you just need subtitles....;)

I'm a big fan of foreign films and for the most part, despise
Hollywood movies. I do not mind subtitles at all, especially
when I do not understand the dialogue.

Pan's Labyrinth was mentioned earlier in this thread. That one
is definitely in my top dozen favorite films.

franzb69 I think you maybe in a spot like me. In Thailand I have to deal with lots of wrong Dubbing, and subtitles. Subtitle in the middle of screen, in different langueges. Talking with friends sometimes to understand or to tell them what has happened in a seen. Ong-bak was even better when translated right. There is a second to that move 2005. Different name though. When they speak abit of spanish the subtitles are messed up becouse the translater does not no so quess.... So I'm left telling them what going on (thank god its just like (mi amigo) my friend,,, very easy stuff like that. Or German but still easy like (gutting tag) good day,,, But I have to tell them, no no not butting fag or Gooding hag. But its worse for me as Thai has so many ways to say something. One thing I've learned is to ease up, as it really is bad to conplain here.

Reading subtitles is a pain but it's either that, or miss out on tons of great foreign movies. Some of the best movies I've ever seen I had to watch with subtitles, e.g. The Lives of Others, and it doesn't detract that much from the movie. I watch so many movies that there are so few good English language movies I haven't seen, so I have to watch foreign ones to find something good a lot of the time. I guess I'm in the minority since I don't mind dubbed movies. Oldboy is one of the best movies I've ever seen and it was dubbed...it didn't bother me at all.

Dubbing really sucks!
I prefer subtitles.
But if it's a englishspeaking movie i prefer to have no subs at all because the subtitles often is messed up.
I don't know how they think around here when they are translating because often when there is a direct translation the "submakers" write something else. There are allso grammatic errors.

I could spell correctly as a kid so it makes me wonder abit about grown up professionals can't make it...

I have subtitles on for everything. First started doing it because my hearing in my right ear sucks. Now I just enjoy it. :) I feel it doesn't really take too much away for me.

I'm the same. I have low range hearing loss so i lose dialogue at average volume. I hear high range fine so all the action noises, bullets and other sound effects come across fine for me. I put on the subtitles and I'm good. I find it hard to function without them anymore really.

Given my level of practice, subtitled foreign films don't bother me in the least.

Back