• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

flavor Sugar Rush flavor?

HellfireFarm

Business Member
What should I expect a sugar rush cream to taste like? Mine smell a lot like Anaheims, taste almost buttery, and are VERY mild. That doesn't seem right...

my sugar rush weren't very sugary - but then first time growing I didn't know what to expect

Tried some again

Still back to "tastes like Anaheim". Maybe closer to Cubanelle. Almost NO heat - I would guess <500 scoville, maybe a lot less.

It's all a hype train by Jukka,Chris Fowler and their sycophants. Dig around a little and you will see behind their public facade. Anything tied to Sugar Rush is all unintentional and natures work.There has been no breeding or work done. . I think @ChilliCrosser has actually put effort into making legit versions. Check out his work for clean,detailed photos and information.

I encourage everyone to grow these and form their own opinion which I will bet is similar to anyone that is not compromised by the seed game. While cool looking,the stripey variant has zero flavor...absolutely zero. Grow it for yourself and report back here.

My suggestion is to grow Aji Amarillo and other heritage peppers from the Andes. Most of the individuals raving about these have never tasted legit C.baccatum berries. They are on the slurper train.

I disagree strongly. I only grow chilies / hot peppers for their flavor and have grown about 100 varieties every year in search of the best flavors.

I have never been a big fan of c.baccatum, thats why I have only grown about 20 different varieties over all the years Ive been growing, so Im no expert. But among them are many of the more famous ones. Aji mango, Pineaple, Lemondrop, Brazilian Starfish, Aji Amarillo etc
They all came highly recommended, but none seemed to taste anything like I was told. To me they all tasted very grassy (at least compared to the wonderful flavors of c.chinense).

I had given up on c.baccatum until I tasted Peppapeach and SRP. To me they taste fantastic! Extremely juicy, and a very tropical peach (but more apricot really) flavor that I love. Clean, like a chinense. No grassy flavor at all.

Now Im growing a few Peppapeach x my favourite chinenses F1 as well.

Both my peppapeach and SRP are very hot. I was shocked when I tried a few fruits from another big grower (and seed seller) here in Norway and his pods where almost totally heatless and also had a lot less flavor than mine, so I think there might be a few different out there.

My seeds are from Chris Fowler a few years ago. I have heard some disapointing things about him and our favourite scammer Clayton etc, but still... This is my favourite tasting baccatum, and it has nothing to do with any "hype".

i had a fresh SRP sliced up on a big steak sandwich last night and it worked nicely, adding little pops of heat when you chewed into a piece of the pepper. the first one i ever tasted a month ago, i envisioned it going very nicely in a salad.

and they (the ones i have anyway) are not too hot for the wife; and the fresh sweet taste makes her prefer the flavour over that of jalapeno.

also my SRPs have been my best producers this year, should have 100 or more off of 4 plants if the cold keeps away enough for them to fully ripen.

Last edited:
This year I grew 2 plants.
One of them gave me peppers with a classic annum flavor, with slight nuances of something similar to the shade of Aji mango. The spiciness was quite low. The color of these was pale apricot.

The second plant gave me slightly larger, apricot-colored pods, with all the flavor and spiciness that the seed sellers describe.

I threw away all the seeds from the first plant and only saved seeds from the second plant.
Perhaps this strain is not as stable as we think.

Perhaps this strain is not as stable as we think.
I'm curious to know who though any of this stuff was stable.

I disagree strongly. I only grow chilies / hot peppers for their flavor and have grown about 100 varieties every year in search of the best flavors.

I have never been a big fan of c.baccatum, thats why I have only grown about 20 different varieties over all the years Ive been growing, so Im no expert. But among them are many of the more famous ones. Aji mango, Pineaple, Lemondrop, Brazilian Starfish, Aji Amarillo etc
They all came highly recommended, but none seemed to taste anything like I was told. To me they all tasted very grassy (at least compared to the wonderful flavors of c.chinense).

I had given up on c.baccatum until I tasted Peppapeach and SRP. To me they taste fantastic! Extremely juicy, and a very tropical peach (but more apricot really) flavor that I love. Clean, like a chinense. No grassy flavor at all.

Now Im growing a few Peppapeach x my favourite chinenses F1 as well.

Both my peppapeach and SRP are very hot. I was shocked when I tried a few fruits from another big grower (and seed seller) here in Norway and his pods where almost totally heatless and also had a lot less flavor than mine, so I think there might be a few different out there.

My seeds are from Chris Fowler a few years ago. I have heard some disapointing things about him and our favourite scammer Clayton etc, but still... This is my favourite tasting baccatum, and it has nothing to do with any "hype".

I'm glad to see differing opinions. Taste is subjective,correct? But there are other objective issues,ie. serious blossom end rot with the Stripey and obviously no type of stability on any others because they were pumped out for status.

The hype I mention isn't all about flavour,it has more to do with throwing out countless phenotypes of plants that were not bred and were completely ACCIDENTAL. And seeking status for this all the while duping people into seed sales.

The stripey was discovered many years back(2017 if I remember) by a guy that lives in the city that I do. He did nothing special either,just planted a seed and waited. Jukka and Chris Fowler have done the same thing,just planted a seed and waited. They care and know absolutely nothing about Mendelian inheritance and are hype machines.

Jukka has duped people for years selling wilds and others that were not correct. He's being fed more unidentifiable species by Chris Fowler that he is going to sell as something they aren't. People can have facades,sell bunk seeds or anything they want for profit,but we can call them out on their bullshit too. I have no desire to drapg these folks,but would be more than happy to share receipts of how they traffic in deception.

Jukka has duped people for years selling wilds and others that were not correct. He's being fed more unidentifiable species by Chris Fowler that he is going to sell as something they aren't. People can have facades,sell bunk seeds or anything they want for profit,but we can call them out on their bullshit too. I have no desire to drapg these folks,but would be more than happy to share receipts of how they traffic in deception.

It's sad to hear about deception, but not surprising. Not many honest vendors left.
Fowler I have had only good experience with. Bought seeds from him twice, and received a lot more than ordered. I always thought he was honest, but I have seen a few people mention him in bad words lately. I would love to receive some more information about him if you don't mind, I'm not up to date.

Last edited:
I think sugar rush peppers are very nice.

We should judge the variety for its inherent qualities, rather than criticizing the methods from which they were created.

To me a random unknown cross is a fine method.

Someone might test a certain number of intentional crosses and keep the best for further development. This is usually a relatively small number compared to the global number of unintentional crosses, all but the best of which are discarded.

There something nice about the serendipity.

I think sugar rush peppers are very nice.

We should judge the variety for its inherent qualities, rather than criticizing the methods from which they were created.

Someone might test a certain number of intentional crosses and keep the best for further development. This is usually a relatively small number compared to the global number of unintentional crosses, all but the best of which are discarded.

I could not disagree more. To dupe the public for profit by not telling the genesis and by using phrases like "after years of breeding projects" is not acceptable and shouldn't be despite who likes new stuff.

There are plenty of great things that come from unintentional hybrids. Often times speciation. We're comparing apples and hand grenades.

Last edited:

All of those statements are fine BEFORE a grift ever takes place and best stated BY THE FOUNDER IN FULL DISCLOSURE.

Those statements tend to fall short of meaning anything once made AFTER the grift takes place and unintentional hybrids are claimed as manual works. Those types of statements are generally made by alt accounts of said grifters or shills for said grifters. It’s also possible the people making those types of statements aren’t fully grasping the entire context, but generally the former reasons are at play.

Ignorance can only absolve someone so far. Once the data and receipts are put on full display and the context fully exposed…it’s hard to defend “a pepper for what it is” rather than shun a seed grifter for what they are….

Last edited:
Back