• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

suggestions for purple leaf plants

wiriwiri said:
"purple flash" in another pretty one as  "is pretty in purple."...I have a few seedlings that I am growing b/c of the purple leaves.

I actuality came across that purple flash after ordering, good call. I may have to make that side order after all.

I live in Southern California, so all of these should prove to be perennials for me. Every plant that I actually take care of lasts through winter, no problem. Shine even produce year round! I want to plant some good looking purples around the house.

Well it just so happens that I like purple pepper leaves/black/dark stems  ..,bonus points for purple flowers & peppers.so here a  a few more to look at:

Black Knight                          

Bellingrath gardens

Black Manaqualana

Pretty In Purple has a lovely flower..... Purple Rocks!!!

This is my second year growing purple tigers from THSC. They are neat plants but are more green/white variegation than purple leaves. They have gorgeous purple flowers though. The leaves are similar in variegation to a fish pepper but have a few darker patches thrown in too. They definitely aren't broad leafed though, they have pretty tiny leaves compared to my other plants. I do however enjoy their flavor.

This is my purple tiger (right) next to a fish pepper plant.

a3ea13140a1e424f3030a1ddd486c503.jpg

Here is a closer view

b82ee1d39bba019c54352edb741fddc3.jpg

wiriwiri said:
Well it just so happens that I like purple pepper leaves/black/dark stems  ..,bonus points for purple flowers & peppers.so here a  a few more to look at:

Black Knight                          

Bellingrath gardens

Black Manaqualana

Pretty In Purple has a lovely flower..... Purple Rocks!!!

I just picked up some Royal Black, Purple Flash, and Purple Jalapeno from Tomato Growers (used them before and love their service and seeds).

But, which vendor would you suggest for those mentioned above? I didn't see any of them at THSC nor TG.

Thanks for your (and everyone's) help!

Gonna have some good purple varieties to post pics in a few months :)  No problems starting these late in So Cal.

jacqui276 said:
This is my second year growing purple tigers from THSC. They are neat plants but are more green/white variegation than purple leaves. They have gorgeous purple flowers though. The leaves are similar in variegation to a fish pepper but have a few darker patches thrown in too. They definitely aren't broad leafed though, they have pretty tiny leaves compared to my other plants. I do however enjoy their flavor.

This is my purple tiger (right) next to a fish pepper plant.

a3ea13140a1e424f3030a1ddd486c503.jpg

Here is a closer view

b82ee1d39bba019c54352edb741fddc3.jpg

When I first saw it, I was actually thinking how that plant looks "dirty" even in the vendor previews, lol. But I think it may have potential... enough to try sewing a few seeds at least to see what phenos I get. Thanks for the heads up by sharing your experience!!

The tiger looks like it has BEAUTIFUL stems. Yes, I'm looking at your stems /wink

This morning I was thinking to myself... I wonder which of the genetics I ordered would make a good cross...

I want to cross some purples! So far I believe everything I ordered are Annuum, though I had the thought to try to cross the Starfish with one of the purples (probably the best tasting, or largest fruit, or even better yet - both).

I just made a suggestion to the forum to add a breeding section. I've read so many GLOG's and posts about cool crosses that people have made and I have been crossing/breeding canna for a few years now and was thinking about extending my expertise to peppers.

Seeds I have to play with: (some genetics omitted due to me trying and not liking them, ie: Reaper, butch T, and any-and-all habs)

Trinidad Moruga Scorpion F2 (smokey flavor pheno with thick walls)
Brazilian Starfish**
Black Cobra Thai F2
Fish Pepper**
Jalapenos:
    Mucho Nacho
    Chichimeca
    Jalafuego
    Jalapeno M
    Purple Jalapeno**
    Fooled Ya Jalapeno**
Royal Black**
Purple Flash**
Purple Tiger**
THSC Black Scorpion Tongue**

** = still in transit - no experience growing this variety (yet)

You can see my purple leafed pink tiger against my other green leafed plants. I also have a Bubblegum pink tiger that is very very dark.

xEyArAd.jpg

Couldn't find the pink tiger (original) from anywhere but a site in Austrailia (which I ordered - costs me 5 bux with shipping, so no biggie if they aren't true). So I got some of the crosses from Mojo's site

RedGum TigerMAMP PeachGum TigerMAMP V2

Redgum TigerMAMP - description says the plant tends to be very dark.
202727-8730e46c933a4019bf42943a3b72ae79.jpeg

PeachGum TigerMAMP
202727-f0605bb8a843459db05d0a7fb1b53008.jpeg

Gonna have a bunch of tester plants this year! Will probably decide which ones to actually play with next season after I get a few pods to try. I know phenos can vary widely (Mojo's seeds are still in F1), but at least I will have an idea. And a chance to get a more pink tiger leaning pheno.

Been on a mild hiatus with peppers since my son was born, but now he's almost 2 and I have a little more time now.

BTW - noticed that the pink tigers are Chinense, my best bet for fat leaves.

I did not  buy the plants.  grown from seeds that I acquired from a friend earlier this year re: the ones below:

Black Knight
Black Manaqualana
Bellingrath Gardens

so ..I don't know where to tell you to get the plants from...I am presuming you are looking for plants...am I correct there?
Also I have not grown these before,thus in terms of leaf size, its a matter of wait & see.will be able to inform you better as they
become more established.
I actually got tired of red peppers & since I like purple..I proceeded to explore some more..so I ended up not only with a lot  of those,but with variations as I said before..stem/leaves etc.....I can say that IMHO  Black Pearl is a  gem :P ...got seeds from plants that were isolated...
Also...most ornamental peppers that I own  are smaller..I presume that is true of most,but don't quote me on that score..I could be wrong..
I do not have the luxury of year round growing,if so I would do a yellow round pepper alternating with a purple leaf pepper or purple  pepper with green leaves. based on what is available.
My latest acquisition is Condor's Beak Hab.   green leaves....at some point ie soon, I  MUST  refer all acquisitions to 2017...see you are one up on me..sunny Cali,.
Do update with your progress!Happy Growing too! :dance:
Purple is Pretty !

I didn't read all the replies but a few suggestions are Yaki brown - had beautiful foliage and the pods tasted better than the name eluded to. 

Fidalga roxa- not really broadleafed but another really beautiful plant. Much darker than CGN-21500 

DF581EE7-5F0B-4115-918B-B9F47080CF64.jpg

Thanks guys!

I checked up on the yaki brown, Mojo has a yaki blue that I really want to try, but is sold out. The only yaki brown vendor I found was buckeye, but I'm trying to find more to buy to make it worth while.

Thanks for the suggestions!!

edit: I have the shopping cart screen up on the yaki brown and added a black pearl pack... just waiting to pull the trigger.

no experience with them yet but i'll echo d3monic's post
Fidalgo Roxa
Cheiro Roxa
CGN 21500
this family of peppers is suppose to have darker stems and nice foliage(maybe not black, but attractive) and nice fruits.
I plan to grow some of these next year

I just went for it... Those yaki brown are chinense and have nice wide leaves... couldn't say no.

Malarky said:
no experience with them yet but i'll echo d3monic's post
Fidalgo Roxa
Cheiro Roxa
CGN 21500
this family of peppers is suppose to have darker stems and nice foliage(maybe not black, but attractive) and nice fruits.
I plan to grow some of these next year

Any idea where I should look to get those (seeds and information)?

I tried my big 4 vendors and didn't find any of em. But I'd like to at least check them out.

Back