• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Suggestions for the 2017 Season?

I normally grow a handful of peppers every year. 10-20 plants has been the norm for the last few years due to limited grow space. We just bought a new place, with quite a bit more yard, so I will be expanding this year. I am growing a few superhots this year, Scorps, Bhuts, Reapers so I have plenty of seeds there. And I will be growing some of my usual favorite non-supers, Caribbean Red Habs, Jalaps, Cyklon, Choc Hab, Chinese 5 color, White hab, Biquenho. So here's my question: What would be a few good other varieties to try? I have been hearing about Aji Pineapple? Any suggestions?

I guess I should add that I am looking for medium heat and sweet/fruity flavor.

Jimmy Nardello are really good, no heat, lots of flavor. Great raw, or in cooking. Wife baked them with sweet potatoes, asparagus, garlic and butter and they were amazing.

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

I too would recommend Bishop's Crown. I've grown it the last 3 years and the whole house loves them. No heat or very little. Just a very sweet, great tasting pepper. The gf made some crab salad, put some in there and it sweetened it up. It was delicious!

Reactions: CMJ
JDFan said:
A few baccatums with lower heat and good flavor -  Aji Pineapple, Aji Limon, Bishops Crowns, Brazilian Starfish

For stir fry snacking -- shishito peppers are great
Bishops Crown and Starfish are excellent choices. I hear all good about Aji Pineapple and Aji Limon although no experience with them yet. I'm growing Aji Amarillo for the first time this year and am very pleased with the flavor profile. Will continue to grow that one.

Thanks for the suggestions. I will definitely give some of them a try.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

Aji Cristal is one of my favorite baccatum. Sharp citrus flavor, no tendency toward 'soapy' flavors, and respectable heat.
If Cristals are hard to find, Cap267 is very similar.

Aji Pineapple, Carbonero, MOA scotch bonnet, Bahamian goat pepper, , aji mango, aji fantasy, bbg7, aji omni color, 7pot burgundy and bolsa de dulce are all peppers I will probably plant every year. 

Pequin, goatsweed, guajillo are worth mentioning as well. 

JDFan said:
A few baccatums with lower heat and good flavor -  Aji Pineapple, Aji Limon, Bishops Crowns, Brazilian Starfish

For stir fry snacking -- shishito peppers are great

I second this exact line up, plus maybe a scotch bonnet. I also have some Golden Greek Peperoncinis going to be pickled in the future.

Well, I just placed an order for: Aji Limon, Aji Pineapple, Bishop's Crown, Brazilian Starfish, and Aji Fantasy! With these additions I should have a good variety next season. Thanks again for the suggestions. I am already looking forward to next season!

Back