sun Sun / Heat protection for the gardner

If you have ever had brain in a box, you know how I feel right now.  Its like you are removed a bit from the outside world, maybe a frame off.  Normally I am not this stupid, but it has been raining so much that yesterday when the rain cleared and it seemed overcast I ran out and stayed there till the next rain, over and over again without paying attention to sun exposure.  The result was today got the brain in the box syndrome from too much sun n heat.  So thinking good time to talk about sun / heat protection for we garners. 

Please include your tips.  Here are mine.

Sports squirt things - Like gateraid but no sugar.  I am a diabetic but understand even normal people have issues with sugar when they are in the sun.  Makes them tire faster.  Water is great, but unless you get the electrolytes it seems to just run right out your body threw sweat and urine.  The little squirt things (brand names like Mio) are great and cheaper than bottled stuff.

Hat - My eyes are the first to have problems.  Too much squinting makes them hurt. I dont much like the feel of having sun glasses on my face when I am sweating.

Towel - Use it for sweat and to cover head if I have no hat.  Makes me look all middle eastern, scares the neighbors.  Helps me to plot a pepper jeahad or how ever you spell that there word.

So what are your pointers?

I've got a Hasselhoff hat that's done me right for over a decade in the garden as well as fishing in open water. Great friggen hat, matter a fact I'm about do for a new one. Mines finally gotten a few holes over the last couple years of hard treatment. All the grape pickers and vineyard workers in Sonoma valley have very similar hats, that's were I learned it.

http://www.amazon.com/Peter-Grimm-Mens-Hasselhoff/dp/B00RTWQUJ2/ref=pd_sim_sbs_193_3?ie=UTF8&refRID=0E0SCSCWW5ENC7TX6MDN

I didn't get mine from amazon but its the only place I could find a picture of it.

Hogleg, I have one of those.  I call it my granny hat.  They are in every feed n seed store this time of the year.  Ya know what I would like to find is one of the hats you imagine being worn by a rice paddy worker in Asia.  Not sure what they are called so can not google it well. 

You aren't young are you?  I used to work for a farm that went threw youngens fairly fast.  Sometimes same day they started.  They would show up to work with either no hat or a baseball hat, often flipped around backwards.  Also, often a tank top.  Oh damn they would burn up.

I believe its called a Coolie Hat. Friend of mine runs one of em, Its kinda funny and cool all at the same time.

I'm 43 years young, with juvenile delinquent tendencies.

Back