• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

sun Sun Scald ?

Hello All ,

I recently transplant a bunch of my plants. Some were one's that had got beaten up pretty bad by the wind. This is one of those. Several of my plants have top leaves that look like this one. The temps have jumped way up to the 100 mark the last couple of days. In the late afternoon many look wilted .

Is this sun scald ? Or sun burn as I'm thinking ?

Thanks & Peace,
P. Dreadie

SunScald.jpg

100F?, and I'm thinking and that's 38c, which is too bloody hot; so, yes is my guess, sun burn/scald.
Try some shade cloth or moving them to a morning sun spot; something that shades after 11 or so.
I'm fighting 37c - 38+c everyday for almost 3 months. It knocks the crap out of chinense and annums both.

Looks like it. I had a couple of plants that got scalded like the pic above. Some pulled through fine with great new growth, others are still not doing so good.

Probably both with that Texas sun and that heat.
Get those puppies in some shade. Even without the sun scald, prolonged temps that high will have a negative impact on how well your plants can set fruit.

sunburn/sunscald all the way...

get ready for a long hot summer PD....it hit 102 here yesterday

as far as fruit set goes...my plants (with a few exceptions) flower like mad in July/August but no fruit set at all...I have read (and experienced it first hand) that once the night time temperatures do not drop below 80F, the pollen becomes sterile...meaning you can produce all the flowers you want but don't get a single pod...

it has been my experience over the past 10 years that if I can just keep the plants alive thru July and August when we hit that string of extreme temps I will have one hell of a fall harvest...it only makes sense...if the plants don't produce pods, they keep on growing and producing more nodes, more nodes = more fruit...it is like a double edged sword...I would love to have fresh pods all summer long, but have learned that being patient with the plants and making sure they keep on growing during July/August insures a great fall harvest...

Thanks everyone .... that was what I thought .

AJ .... the Tejas weather , at least here has been wicked so far. Super wind for the most part and now early heat. But not 102 !! Like yours !! Dang I usually don't get that until August . Guess I'll get that and hail before June is over ... I remember last year you were harvesting way later than I could here in 'Rillo.

I'm hoping to turn things around for me here soon. After one major Fail from one of my make-shite covers wifey has taken pity on me. She said I could do a greenhouse , but after a few PMs with a righteous member here I think I'd be better off with a Hoop Cold Tunnel type of thing. I could get an early start and still use it for protection later on. I want to do them were I can open open up the sides when things are nice and help keep the temps down. I'll order them tomorrow , but it's still a dream until things are done !!

As for now I went in search of shade cloth early this morning ..... FAIL... So I went back to my southern make-shite ways. I went and bought some 3 buck sheets from Wal-Mart to help shade my Bonnet Bed. Then where my 7 Pods and Scorpions in buckets are setting I used some left over tarp from my Big Fail. The pictures are at noon ..... no shade yet .... LOL ..... and the Bonnets look it. But it should still help some. They've been looking very bad by night time but perk up by morning.

Sail.jpg

trapage.jpg

I'm also re-thinkin' about where I can sit my plants. I only have one tree , a thin section about 10' wide on the east side of the house and the same on the west side. So I need to go back and find threads about that .... remember any ?? LOL

undertree.jpg

Peace & thanks again,
P. Dreadie

When I lived in Las Vegas about 15 years ago I grew peppers in 120 degrees under a home made shade of 50% cloth. plants did very good no sun problems Left shade up all summer. most nurseries grow under shade cloth.

Bunch your buckets together so they'll shade themselves.

Just for kicks stick a meat thermometer inside one of those buckets. I bet the temps will surprise the hell out of you. Those dark buckets really soak in the heat

madhatter ...... I'm a Texan not a Yardie , but I like Jamaican music, food, and drink. I like Appleton but cook with it more than drink it.

I've never checked the temps of soil. Guess it could be darn warm.

Peace,
P. Dreadie

Back