• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

sun Sunshine Mix #4 vs Pro-Mix HP

I'm convinced that Pro-Mix cannot be found in my area. I've called a dozen stores and visited half a dozen in person. The best I've found is one place that has Pro-Mix BX, but I can have it shipped in for less than what they want to charge.

I did manage to find Sunshine #4, and it looked like it might do the job for my plant pots. Has anyone used it before? I've heard nothing but rave reviews for HP, and if it's worth it I'll buckle and pay to have a few bales shipped.

http://www.sunlightsupply.com/p-14629-sunshine-mix-4-aggregate-plus-with-mycorrhizae.aspx

I used one of the sunshine mixes, unfortunately I cannot remember which one for sure. I though it was decent, but I had some drainage issues with it and ended up transplanting everything out of it. I honestly think it was sunshine #2 though.

no personal experiance on my part, it my understanding however... that sunshine is organic, possibly without a wetting agent and is generally more twiggy?
i HAVE tried promix HP tho, that stuffs great. if i could buy it for like 15 20bucks a bale that is all i would ever use. its 38 bucks a bale here tho... to much money. still a great sterile medium for small seedlings tho, maby not the best for germing, but for the beer cup stage.

for what its worth, promix is very easy to make yourself. and i mean the real deal not a poor substitute. the hardest thing is the surfactant, its going to cost you for a bottle, however ... it only takes about 100ml to wet like 20 gallons of peat.

edit: clarification

I'm convinced that Pro-Mix cannot be found in my area. I've called a dozen stores and visited half a dozen in person. The best I've found is one place that has Pro-Mix BX, but I can have it shipped in for less than what they want to charge.

I did manage to find Sunshine #4, and it looked like it might do the job for my plant pots. Has anyone used it before? I've heard nothing but rave reviews for HP, and if it's worth it I'll buckle and pay to have a few bales shipped.

http://www.sunlights...ycorrhizae.aspx

if you have a hydroshop that you go to, 99.9% of they can order it from there distrubuor for you. Most of them buy from places wholesellers that carry them all.

Sorry if you asked them already, but I know my store will order anything i want if not in there store pretty much.

also, i never used sunshine myself, i used pro-mix and roots organic 707 (30 bucks for 3 cubic feet here) and i pretty much use nothing but roots organic now.

no personal experiance on my part, it my understanding however... that sunshine is organic, possibly without a wetting agent and is generally more twiggy?
i HAVE tried promix HP tho, that stuffs great. if i could buy it for like 15 20bucks a bale that is all i would ever use. its 38 bucks a bale here tho... to much money. still a great sterile medium for small seedlings tho, maby not the best for germing, but for the beer cup stage.

for what its worth, promix is very easy to make yourself. and i mean the real deal not a poor substitute. the hardest thing is the surfactant, its going to cost you for a bottle, however ... it only takes about 100ml to wet like 20 gallons of peat.

Apparently there are several #4 mixes around. The one I picked up has mycorrhizae and a wetting agent. It was a bit pricey at $50 for a bale, but far less than what another place wanted for a bale of BX. I'm set on germination, but I'm about ready to start moving to 3" pots. I'd consider making some myself, but I'm doing this part indoors and that's just asking for an epic mess.

if you have a hydroshop that you go to, 99.9% of they can order it from there distrubuor for you. Most of them buy from places wholesellers that carry them all.

Sorry if you asked them already, but I know my store will order anything i want if not in there store pretty much.
also, i never used sunshine myself, i used pro-mix and roots organic 707 (30 bucks for 3 cubic feet here) and i pretty much use nothing but roots organic now.

Back in Oregon we had tons of hydroponic shops. My brother is a caretaker back west, and he's got access to all sorts of fun stuff. There doesn't seem to be much of a hydroponic market down here, and the only legit one I can find is a little over two hours away in Baton Rouge. Most of the local nurseries and garden shops only want to order by the pallet, and I'm not in that league. I'll have to look into roots organic, but it's not something that I recall seeing around. Thanks for the info!

I used a Sunshine Mix #3 before. It is for seed starting. There were a few twigs in it, but not much. Worked
well for me. Never tried #4.

If you have Pro-Mix shipped, wouldn't that cost a fortune.

I used a Sunshine Mix #3 before. It is for seed starting. There were a few twigs in it, but not much. Worked
well for me. Never tried #4.

If you have Pro-Mix shipped, wouldn't that cost a fortune.

Yep. I've found bales online for $30-$40, and shipping is usually more than the cost of the bale.

Bummer;

Yea, not sure how much you are willing to pay per bail, according to sears you can order online and it has free shippipng.

http://www.sears.com...-SPM3007086302P

also I forgot hydrogalaxy ships free, but they can take a week to get it.

http://www.hydrogalaxy.com/growing-media/pro-mix-hp-mycorrhizae-3-8cf/

but they seems to ahve the bales marked up big time (i can get it for about 45 bucks)

i have used both, and both worked good. i use pro mix now as the hydro shop down the street has it in stock all the time. but both will grow nice healthy plants

Back