• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Super Bridge

I am not sure what you are asking here SpeakPolish.

Do you need permission or approval or some thing?

Most people are saying "why would you?" or "it seems silly", but you keep saying some thing along the lines of "it is possible" or "I can if I want to".

Well, you can try if you want to, it may not be possible but you won't know till you try.

Why don't you give it a go and let us all know what happens.

happytinker said:
I wanted to try something similar eventually. I've read that the pubescens have extra cold tolerance, so that could be useful. Maybe some day we'll have a pepper that can survive zone 5 winters... or at least have super-hots with black seeds for novelty value.
I don't know of a variety that can survive my winters in zone 7, much less 5.

Long term goals... I'd better get started. I'd be happy just to create a 'wild-ish' pepper that is more naturalized here. Something fast growing and cold tolerant that can reach maturity and self-seed without starting early. Maybe by combining various wild peppers and peppers that have adapted to harsher conditions around the world.

happytinker said:
Long term goals... I'd better get started. I'd be happy just to create a 'wild-ish' pepper that is more naturalized here. Something fast growing and cold tolerant that can reach maturity and self-seed without starting early. Maybe by combining various wild peppers and peppers that have adapted to harsher conditions around the world.
Two years ago I had 4 Malawi Picante pepper plants(pickling peppers similar to peppa dew). One plant of the 4 survived 3 rounds of frost. The other 3 were completely bare of leaves before the one started to die back. I saved seeds from those pods and have 3 plants growing this year.

Glad to hear skullbiker, hopefully it's heritable. Please let us know if you see positive results from them. I was looking for something similar last year, but no stand-outs.

Maybe I'll try starting at the other end, doing some mass sproutings during winter with seeds I collected. I could try it in a colder part of my house, maybe even with a shorter day cycle, then heavily cull the slower moving plants.

Back