• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Super Cayenne II - Year #2

So 2 years ago I ran out of dried hot peppers. THE HORROR!!!

Which is why last year I overplanted...and which led me to try and keep the plants going longer. Here you see a picture of a Super Cayenne II planted last year (pic taken yesterday)! I took it out of the pot, scraped off 2/3 of the roots and cut off 2/3 of the branches. Put some more soil in and replanted. Now its doing great and making lots of peppers. Some are 3-4" long. Its on its 2nd year of being outside and making peppers.

Can you just keep doing this? Will the peppers be just as good? will it taste different/ have less seeds?

peppers.jpg

Peppers are perennials. I once kept an orange hab going for about 5 years by bringing it inside every winter. I finally had to let it go when I got a roommate and she didn't see the advantages of having half of her bedroom taken up by plants.

pao1x said:
That's a great looking plant. Looks huge in the pic.

One thing I also noticed is that after replanting they grow very very dense, some of the peppers are way in there and tough to get to. When they also get big like this we are talking 100s of peppers.

lgreen said:
...Here you see a picture of a Super Cayenne II planted last year (pic taken yesterday)! ...

Wow, great plant! Why do they call it super though? Are the peppers bigger? hotter? more of them?

My cayenne's don't reach that big by the end of the growing season. I'll have to look into overwintering this year.

It is listed as a hybrid, I am just wondering what the cross is. That plant looks incredible. Cayennes seem to be quite prolific, but I have never seen anything quite like that. Well Done!!

Kool plant! Im looking in overwintering too.its ma first year planting..and it was b*%^h growing dem and i dont wanna see dem go..LOL..I wuv ma peppers..:violin:!! and anyways wats better den salsa in da winter..?!?

Thanks!

Thanks, did not know the term "overwintering," I am learning a lot here already.

Here is a pic of the Super Cayenne II (left) and a newbie regular Cayenne (right, also shown in the upper right of the 1st pic but cut off). You see that the year old SC II is denser and bigger but that the normal Cayenne is making a ton of big peppers and its leaves are larger (not sure if this can be seen from the pic). It is a little behind in terms of ripe peppers but it also has peppers that I measured as 4" long even in the 1st year. I notice that leaf size is proportional to the room you have in your planter for the roots to grow. Also roughly true of pepper size.

I don't think I am doing anything great with these, just some clay pots, care not to overwater, and potting soil. And the San Diego summer.

Cayanne%20vs%20II.jpg

FYI- to answer some questions
- the super cayenne II is just a special kind of Cayenne that some people made up to have better characteristics (its hot!)- and my plant store sells them so that's how I got them.

- to overwinter, I just keep them outside here in CA over the winter. Since the roots take over the entire pot I pull them out and remove about 2/3 of the roots after the 3rd crop. This is the 1st time I tried it. We had the 1st frost in decades last year and it survived fine...ok it was a wussy frost...but there was ice on the ground.

- wait till you see the piquins...

Back