• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

"Super Chili"?

I've got a couple of these plants that my wife picked up at a Lowe's or Wal-mart or somewhere like that because she thought they looked interesting. The tag on them said "Super Chili", which at the time I had never heard of, and the description says they grow upright and ripen to red. However, they're growing down, and look more like a serrano or something to me, although I didn't think serranos got quite this big. Can anyone here help me identify if this is actually a "Super Chili", or if I got an inaccurate label (it's happened before :( )? I ate this pepper after taking this pic. Good flavor, and decent heat assuming it'll be hotter once it ripens to red...

0713091643a.jpg

Nope, nor do they look like any of the super chili pics I've found online. My guess so far is it's a serrano or something similar to that. I read that super chili's are hybrids. Is it possible that instead of growing the super chili these plants reverted back to one of the peppers that was used to make the super chili hybrid? I'm not sure how all that hybridizing stuff works.

joeknowsjolokia said:
I'm thinkin Fresno! Looks big for a serrano...

Hadn't thought of that one, but aren't Fresnos fatter like jalapeno's, just not as curved? I was thinking the same thing that it seems too big for a serrano, but then I read somewhere serranos can range anywhere from 1 to 4 inches. The serranos I grew last year didn't get anywhere beyond about an inch. These are about 2 and a half inches... maybe 3. I don't know, I'm perplexed... which is why I wondered if it might have something to do with failed hybridization for the super chile or something.

Serrano fruit tend to hang downward. At least all of mine do. I usually grow 3 to 4 plants a year. It look's like the Thai Hot Dragon hybrid I grew last year. Sorry I didn't take pix of it. I did have a Super Chili early this season but tossed it out because it rotted out on me. Looked diseased. That was a gift bought at WalMart!!!!!! Don't buy plant's from big chain box stores!

I'm growing both Serrano and Fresno. Fresno has a broad shoulder similar to Jalapeno. The Serrano is fairly consistent width from top to bottom. That looks exactly like my Serranos.

If it ripens to a yellowie orange then it could be a siam yellow... its got the right shape... but on second thoughts, i could be bloody anything lol :)

Back