• Start a personal food blog, or, start a community food thread for all.

Super hot sauces

Do you blokes like to cook with ultra super hot / death sauces? What do you recommend? 

I'm the kind of guy that likes to walk into a physical store and browse my goods, after all, that is half the fun of drunk cooking. Here, my choices in death sauces, where you can actually go to a shop and buy it physically, is Blairs, right up to Ultra Death, and the Daves Insanity series, including the Naga Jolokia flavour.

I have a bottle of both Blairs Mega Death and Daves Naga Jolokia. I've opened and used the Daves, yes it contains extract but it is quite tasty. Has a nice fruity flavour.... for the first 2 seconds before you tongue feels like somebody dripped molten lead on it. 

I've made hot wings and put 5 drops of Daves jolokia into the sauce (made from Franks+butter and 2 other chilli sauces plus half a dozen spices).... but was underwhelmed by the heat, although the flavour was fantastic. 

What sort of death sauces do youse all use for cooking and how much of it?

I have a bottle of Blair's Ultra Death Sauce (with Jersey Fury). Nearly two years old and it's still 2/3 full. It's mostly a novelty item. When guests say they like hot food, I pull it out. But realistically, its not very useful when cooking, because it overpowers the flavour of the meal and just leave you with a sore tongue. I'd rather throw a couple of Habs into my cooking than use an extract sauce.

13-Blairs-Ultra-Death-Sauce-with-Jersey-Fury-bottlejpg.jpg

I have a bottle of Blair's Ultra Death Sauce (with Jersey Fury). Nearly two years old and it's still 2/3 full. It's mostly a novelty item. When guests say they like hot food, I pull it out. But realistically, its not very useful when cooking, because it overpowers the flavour of the meal and just leave you with a sore tongue. I'd rather throw a couple of Habs into my cooking than use an extract sauce.

13-Blairs-Ultra-Death-Sauce-with-Jersey-Fury-bottlejpg.jpg

I just got some of the ultra death today. I thought it was pretty yummie myself. It is hot though.

I have tried Blair's 3 times only because I have three of those skull keychains and never finished the first bottle because of the extract and acid tongue taste.  Not my favorite sauce to cook with, best to use fresh peppers when available in recipes.  Dried pods also work well.   

^ ^ this ^ ^
No place in my cooking for novelty ingredient's and I damn sure don't support those who sell such 
trinkets.

Idiot Piquant said:
No oleoresin is allowed in my house; much less on my food. 
^^ this
Last year, before entering THP and growing chinense peppers, I've purchases Blair's Ultra Death and Mad Dog 357 Silver (750k SHU).
While Ultra Death wasn't bad (i'd say quite good if it wasn't for some bitter flavour, i think it's the extract), at first i didn't like Mad Dog taste (was still decent on meat btw), then near the end i hate it. I have to admit that a spoon of that has very high contaminating capabilities. Anyway i won't buy again extract sauces.

Next time i'm making a sauce with a bit of tomato, peach or apricot, onion, lemon, garlic and at least 50% peppers. It won't still be as strong as one of the above but surely better.
When i can i use fresh pods btw.

Back