• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Superhot rankings?

spongey600 said:
well, too many variables that come into play, peppers hit individuals differently just as the soil, growing conditions can effect the heat of a pepper. but based on how peppers hit me Jon' list is spot on! i had a brain strain last year that gave me about 15lbs of pods of death.
+1  Agreed

Even the same plant won't produce the same heat peppers depending on a wide variety of factors, such as the climate, amount of water supplied, nutrients, etc. Growing any kind of pepper you are likely to find that some are only half as hot as others - even produced at the same time. That's why it's better to go by averages than "Top heat"

IMO, scoville rating isn't all there is to the "hot" sensation of a pepper. Probably the largest factor is the type of capsaicinoid that the pepper contains.

"The least irritation capsaicinoid is nordihydrocapsaicin, according the researchers at the Universy of Georgia. They found that the burning is located in the front of the mouth and palate, causing a "mellow warming effect" The pungency sensation develops immediately after swallowing and recedes rapidly. In comparison, capsaicin and dihydrocapsaicin were found to be more irritation, and were described as having a "typical" pungency sensation. Both compounds produce pungency in the middle of the mouth, the middle of the palate, the throat, and the back of the tongue. In contrast, homodihydrocapsaicin is very irritating, harsh, and very sharp. The pungency does not develop immediately, but it affects the throat, back of the tongue, and the palate for a prolonged period.
   [ from "Chile Peppers", edited by Beth Hanson ]

After you've eaten enough types of peppers, you will be able to quickly identify the type of capsaicinoid that it contains (or at least a good guess). My first experience that proved this to me was with a Manzano pepper, rated at around 30,000 Scovilles maximum. I'd say heat wise it may be much more of an irritant than Thai or Habanero varieties. Cause my lips and whole mouth to burn for over an hour, and I've consumed much hotter peppers as far as scoville rating is concerned.

Although, each person experiences capsaicinoids differently, just like pharmaceutical drugs effect individuals differently.

Just my 2 cents.

Back