• Please post pictures and as much information as possible.

Supermarket chillies

dash 2 said:
     I don't know if that red one is a Caribbean. I've never seen one that big. Also it doesn't seem wrinkly enough.
I don't know what Caribbean Red's your growing, but every Caribbean Red I have ever grown is smooth like this:

When ever I cross a Caribbean Red with something else, they get wrinkly or deformed, so you are probably growing crosses or some other Red Habanero.

RichardK said:
I don't know what Caribbean Red's your growing, but every Caribbean Red I have ever grown is smooth like this:

When ever I cross a Caribbean Red with something else, they get wrinkly or deformed, so you are probably growing crosses or some other Red Habanero.

Interesting. None of my plants have ever produced pods that look like yours. And all the pictures I've seen of them (aside from yours) have considerably more wrinkles than that. I wonder what the hell I'm growing! Would you be interested in trading seeds? I still have a bunch of the originals I ordered from Burpee. I'm really curious to see how yours compare to mine concerning taste and aroma.

dash 2 said:

Interesting. None of my plants have ever produced pods that look like yours. And all the pictures I've seen of them (aside from yours) have considerably more wrinkles than that. I wonder what the hell I'm growing! Would you be interested in trading seeds? I still have a bunch of the originals I ordered from Burpee. I'm really curious to see how yours compare to mine concerning taste and aroma.
Caribbean Red's only get dented, at the bottoms but never wrinkled... When I get some ripe pods I'll dry some seeds for you.

Real Caribbean Red's are unique in their heat and flavor, they really pound the tounge and their aroma and flavor is set apart from most C. Chinese more smokey with hints of strawberry/apple.

Here is a video of TheHippySeedCompany and friends testing the Caribbean Red:
Here is FBI Chili Test of Caribbean Red:
You have to beware as lots of people sell pepper seeds proporting to be Caribbean Reds (especially ebay) but if they are wrinkled pods they are not legit. Also, lots of people sell Red Savina seeds and they are really Caribbean Reds.

RichardK said:
Caribbean Red's only get dented, at the bottoms but never wrinkled... When I get some ripe pods I'll dry some seeds for you.

Gotcha. I didn't know "dent" was the term used for the cavitations on pepper pods. I guess I would say mine have more "dents" than "wrinkles". Aaaah semantics...
     Two of my plants produce pods that look just like yours above (size, color, overall shape), except with maybe two to four longitudinal dents. I grew those from Burpee seed. I have one more that I bought as a start last year (labeled Caribbean red habanero) that produces pods the likes of which I haven't seen before. They're one step beyond wrinkled - I would say "crumpled". I have no idea what those are, but they taste awesome. I'll post some better pics later today.
     Thanks for the offer of seeds. I'll grow all three next year and see what happens!

Back