• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Supermarket Peppers

I found these at Sweetbay Market.They were getting a bit old so I had to rescue.Very hot 10 minute burn on the Chinense.No ID in the store.
3456576540_916f2f45ca_b.jpg

3456577434_e9a967c534_b.jpg

scoville said:
Yes,the 2 on the right are cherry's,I was hoping they were manzanos since they were not marked.No such luck!

The easiest way to spot a C. pubescence (Manzano family) is by the extremely hard, black seeds.

These are the kind of crappy selection of habs over at Shop-Rite today. There is no consistency. I can go in there one day and find the most gorgeous and perectly ripe orange habs, and then another week I go in and find this. Yeah, they are still all hot, so they do the job....

IMG_1769.jpg

As a comparison, sometimes I find them like this. Same store.

IMG_1393.jpg

Prolly just the supply they get is from diff farms...but they look great though.

I wouldn't call that crappy at all. :)

The green ones can be put in a folded over paper bag on top of the fridge and they'll ripen up in no time. Can stick in a banana too if ya really want the Ethylene to get going.

Ethylene is a natural plant hormone.
It affects the growth, development, ripening, and senescence (aging) of all plants. It is normally produced in small quantities by most fruits and vegetables. Many fruits produce larger quantities of ethylene and respond with uniform ripening when exposed to an external source of ethylene.
http://www.catalyticgenerators.com/whatisethylene.html

imaguitargod said:
The easiest way to spot a C. pubescence (Manzano family) is by the extremely hard, black seeds.

Stores don't take knifing open produce to kindly,of course there was no one in the section to even ask!
The cherrys were a total bust,no heat or flava what so ever.
Hopefully drying them will help as its the plan for these.Just picked them up on a whim with no plan.I have some ripening papayas,If they still have them next week I'll make some knock-off Calypso Sauce.I'm thinking they are SB's,I've been sneezing and my face is on fire from de-seeding!

scoville said:
Stores don't take knifing open produce to kindly,of course there was no one in the section to even ask!
The cherrys were a total bust,no heat or flava what so ever.
Hopefully drying them will help as its the plan for these.Just picked them up on a whim with no plan.I have some ripening papayas,If they still have them next week I'll make some knock-off Calypso Sauce.I'm thinking they are SB's,I've been sneezing and my face is on fire from de-seeding!

The cherry's the I am growing the seeds from had a nice lil kick to 'em. I guess like jalapeno it's hit or miss.

bit late on this thread but i was gonna say the 2 on the right that are rounder and smoother look like cherry bombs which could be another name for the cherry hots mentioned before, ok heat but a bit too many seeds for my liking

Davetaylor said:
bit late on this thread but i was gonna say the 2 on the right that are rounder and smoother look like cherry bombs which could be another name for the cherry hots mentioned before, ok heat but a bit too many seeds for my liking

I just clean the seeds out, but yeah, they do have A LOT of seeds in those things.

Back