• Please post pictures and as much information as possible.

pod Supposed to be a Bhut Jolokia, but...

Hey all,

Note: Moved thread here from Growing Peppers section.

I was sold seed for this a while back as a Bhut Jolokia. However, after many months of growing and finally getting pods I think I have discovered that it is not a Bhut Jolokia. I don't know what it is though, any thoughts?

813b9225.jpg

583ba36e.jpg

061ba7ed.jpg

Thanks!

Trade Winds Fruit, where I bought them came back and said these looked like Ghost Peppers to them. :/ I'm completely confused now. I have two other "Ghost Pepper" Plants and only one of them look like they are Ghosts. The other look like a Devil's Tongue...which I am growing also. However, I cannot tell the difference between a Ghost and Devil's Tongue. When you look at photos, they could go either way. The photos I posted above do look a lot like a habanero type, but I don't have a clue.

I planted three Ghost Pepper Plants this year, first time for me. The photos from above are supposed to be one and below are from two other "Ghost Pepper" plants.

The first one I believe might actually be a Ghost, although it ripened too soon. (Anyone know why your plant would ripen so quickly?)

The second one almost looks like one of my Yellow Devil's Tongue plants. I'm 99% sure I did not mix them up either. I've been pretty disciplined with my labels.

Any thoughts? Thanks!

Plant #1
d98e9916.jpg

Plant #2
bccca567.jpg

I do believe Plant #2 is a Devil's Tongue.

I was thinking the red one was a Red Habanero, but after looking at a lot of photos of habaneros I'm not sure. :/

Also, what I find weird and please correct me if it doesn't matter, the skin is flat not shiny like most habaneros.

First post is a Naga Morich (or some open cross), mine have almost the same shape, smooth skin and pod size. The seeds were leftover from the ones my friend ordered from Trade Winds and the baggie said Naga Morich.

First post is a Naga Morich (or some open cross), mine have almost the same shape, smooth skin and pod size. The seeds were leftover from the ones my friend ordered from Trade Winds and the baggie said Naga Morich.

Hmm, they don't look like my naga moriches. Naga moriches should be much shorter. They also don't look like the red habaneros, ghost chiles, or bih jolokias I grow.

Here are some naga morich pods I picked last week:

7786127130_79f14b0df2_c.jpg

Here are some on my plant I took today (they look a bit funny in this pic /shrug):
7786127260_894ba1760e_c.jpg

Edit: Here are the same pods that I picked off the plant in the above pic today:
7786225990_aa23075476_c.jpg

I do believe Plant #2 is a Devil's Tongue.

I was thinking the red one was a Red Habanero, but after looking at a lot of photos of habaneros I'm not sure. :/

Also, what I find weird and please correct me if it doesn't matter, the skin is flat not shiny like most habaneros.
plant 2 is not a devils tongue. the devils tongue's do not get contorted like that.

OP, those are not Bhuts, possible a naga, or caribean red

They have a naga look to them. Do you know what a red habanero and a bhut jolokia taste like?
I don't. I have eaten a pod from the first plant and it was pretty hot. Would you be able to tell by looking inside of each?

plant 2 is not a devils tongue. the devils tongue's do not get contorted like that.

OP, those are not Bhuts, possible a naga, or caribean red

Yeah, I thought it looked a little different from my Devil's Tongue plant. Although, it smelled like the Devil's Tongue. I'll have to do a side-by-side taste test. Because plant 2 was supposed to be a bhut jolokia. Does it matter if the out skin is flat or shiny? Because plant 1 is very flat, no shine or bumps.

I don't. I have eaten a pod from the first plant and it was pretty hot. Would you be able to tell by looking inside of each?

Maybe. It's hard to tell because there are different types of red habs. They look way too skinny to be red habs though. If it's of the naga sort there shouldn't be many seeds and the placenta should go all the way to the bottom.

Maybe. It's hard to tell because there are different types of red habs. They look way too skinny to be red habs though. If it's of the naga sort there shouldn't be many seeds and the placenta should go all the way to the bottom.

The thin one on the right is not what they are looking like. I'll post a photo shortly of the other pods coming in.

Here might be a better view.

0A6F4E2F-FA94-4DCF-A19F-494B5341A04E-3265-00000A80BA08556B.jpg

I've already harvested from my tree, and the heat dropped most of the other ones. Here are some pods from the TWF "Naga morich" bush that I started drying. The more pointed ones are at the bottom of the oven, but you get the idea.

IMAG0074.jpg

im not sure, the guys at TWF probably wouldn't apreciate you licking them to find out.
http://www.tradewindsfruit.com/

LOL!

I've already harvested from my tree, and the heat dropped most of the other ones. Here are some pods from the TWF "Naga morich" bush that I started drying. The more pointed ones are at the bottom of the oven, but you get the idea.

IMAG0074.jpg

Now those look almost exactly like my first plant. Although, I didn't think they were naga's. I've eaten one and it was darn hot, but I wouldn't have considered it deadly. Aren't naga's supposed to be deadly?

Man, this is crazy. Now I'm thinking plant #2 may be a yellow bhut, after I was viewing another thread where a grower posted a bunch of pics. I'll post photos of the entire plant and pods later this evening. To the untrained eye, it is very hard to tell the difference with these.

I want to be know what I'm growing, because I'm doing video reviews on them...so I figure it is probably best to be accurate with what I'm eating.

Back