• Please post pictures and as much information as possible.

pod Supposed to be Habanero?

I've grown habaneros many times over the years, and I'd like to think I know what they look like.

Last time I grew them was 2010, where I ended up with about a 200-300 pepper harvest off two plants. I couldn't pick them fast enough. All the peppers off those plants were uniform, smooth-skinned and orange like you see when you look up pictures of habaneros.

These that I'm growing this year don't look like that.

IMG_20120711_164616.jpg

They're wrinkled and long with a tapered end. None have ripened yet so I don't know what color they turn...

Here's what the plants look like:
IMG_20120711_170955.jpg

IMG_20120711_171021.jpg

Are they bhut jolokias or something? Maybe a cross between a jolokia and a regular habanero? They're "World's Hottest Habanero" plants I got from Lowes, I got the exact same last time and they didn't look anything like this.

They do kind of resemble bhuts, but I am not an expert by any stretch of the imagination. I am growing habs from Lowes, and mine look like what you would expect habs to look like.

So there's no real way to be sure, besides seeing what they look like when they're ripe? And yeah I'm sure they're not habaneros but I didn't think they were full bhut jolokias because they're not that long.

Are they still a lot hotter than a normal habanero? I was hoping for 1,000,000 scoville.

While we can't assume 1M SHU or higher, odds are fairly good they are significantly hotter than a normal (average) habanero. Also keep in mind that if a particular pepper is ranked at 1M SHU that may be under special growing conditions.

While we can't assume 1M SHU or higher, odds are fairly good they are significantly hotter than a normal (average) habanero. Also keep in mind that if a particular pepper is ranked at 1M SHU that may be under special growing conditions.

Special growing conditions?

It was 100*F+ for almost a week, that really seems to have helped their development.

And I'd just like to say, I'm eating one of these right now. Just small slices, it goes a long way :D. Very delicious.

Special growing conditions?

It was 100*F+ for almost a week, that really seems to have helped their development.

And I'd just like to say, I'm eating one of these right now. Just small slices, it goes a long way :D. Very delicious.

Almost starving them of water, limiting nitrogen, adding sulfur, picking off blooms so the plant grows fewer fruit at a time. Tweaking for hotness is a low-yield decision, less fruit in a season.

So you are in Georgia and I'm in Alabama and have what looks like the same pepper from Lowes, I bet they came from the same farm. Check out my thread right below this one for more on this saga.

Back