• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Swamp Monster's new grow> party cups!!!

I've got some new seeds starting! I already have a bunch of plants going (and fruiting), but I started them well before joining the site, so too late to start a glog. Anyway, just started NuMex Suave Orange, NuMex Twilight, Tabasco, Datil, and Trinidad Scorpion from NMSU, and Moruga Scorpion from Refining Fire Chiles.

http://i.imgur.com/rmRBQKP.jpg
rmRBQKP.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/jHkC4hw.jpg[/IMG]

2 crappy Purple jalapenos I dug up yesterday, cleaned the roots, and put into solo cups inside. They had been in the awful soil up front and are stunted for now...
V
fOlLAdR.jpg

Couple of small serranos and cayennes. I started too many for the garden in the back, so I put a few in front. Turns out the soil there is terrible, hence the small size. V
qnR3ype.jpg

FNpWO4X.jpg

uC9tBjt.jpg

My 3ft 6in Indian Carbon Jolokia. V
DvJE1vF.jpg

Try to ignore the weeds... 2 serranos, a jalapeño, a cayenne, and 2 bell peppers. The jalapeño was supposed to be purple, and of course the only one I put in decent dirt turned out to be a regular green-to-red phenotype, which is why I'm gonna put the ones from the front yard in pots. V
5dKZThe.jpg

kvL3ADL.jpg

rrJQN0w.jpg

^thats lettuce up front...started growing pretty strange when it got hot out.
Some of the harvest, thus far. I've been eating the bell peppers as fast as I can pick them, plus about a third of the others. V

QZxk12q.jpg

About my setup... I grow organic only, with my most of my potting mixes consisting of a base mix of Sunshine #4 Advanced with worm castings and Ancient Forest and a variety of natural fertilizers chosen based on plant type and size. Strawberries and blueberries live in a homemade peat- based mix for acid lovers. My dirt gardens are native soil plus cheap organic garden soil and Black Kow manure with used potting mix. Indoors I use a 4x4 ft grow tent with a dimmable Lumatek 600W ballast. I normally use a Hortilux 600W HPS bulb, but it burned out, so I'm using a cheapo 400W MH for now. The bulb resides in a 6in ducted Blockbuster hood.

Great plants. Look super healthy. :fireball:

Never pick a bhut green. They have a bitter taste and no heat. Let them go orange then bright red. 
And like the others said never too late to start anything. 

Thanks for the advice... This is actually my first time with jolokias! It was getting hard to stay patient after looking at green pods for like 3 months.

As requested... More pics! Bhut below....

7SyhYuJ.jpg

^ thumb for scale
GgZG1Ef.jpg

^ a few green pods, and a glimpse of my super-secret water source
WjpvRHa.jpg

^ big leaf, and evidence I may be having a grasshopper problem
bpREQZf.jpg

^ a bee that came along at an opportune time
eMa21WO.jpg

^ some pods, a flower, and the same bee
DyTpae0.jpg

A pod beginning to ripen^
ml0DxRA.jpg

^ what seems like the first clear sky day of the summer

In post #10 fourth pic down from the top,  That isn't a tail on that Bhut is it?  Or is it something behind the pod?  Just wondering!!!

Thanks, Josh!

Sanarda- You know, I thought the same thing when I looked at the pics, but I think its a leaf tip turned sideways in the background.

And here we have my freshly potted-up purple jalapeños V

vNbzJ7N.jpg

Miraculously, emerging seedlings can barely be seen through the gray mold on top of my rooters! V

qFfmsKd.jpg

Germination count so far is 2x datil and 1x NuMex Twilight after only 7 days.

More germination, no problems so far... V

pnX4EGd.jpg

JTzSDaE.jpg

^ Count is now 2x each: tabasco, datil, NuMex Twilight, and Moruga scorpion.
As you can see above, I've also got a 600HPS bulb again.
My jolokia is now 3ft 9in and resides in a 20 gallon tub. The 5 gal wasn't enough to keep its thirst sated. V

wuZVOym.jpg

My new seedlings. I killed one of the Morugas by forgetting to water, but no worries; I only plan on growing out one of them anyway. V

EQcJ0PH.jpg

Some jolokia pods. Most of them are affected by some sort of fungal problem or something, which seems to have been caused by staying wet almost continuously for weeks. Whatever it is, the newer pods don't have that problem so I removed all the affected ones so the plant will have room for more. V

jrtyUIW.jpg

Thanks! By fatal condition, do you mean being found by me, or whatever those white things are?
-Edit ... Google just taught me that those are the larvae of parasitic wasps.

Back