• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Sweet peppers...

Haha, so many options... think I'm done with the seed starting for now (I just don't have the space), so I'll see what they have locally. Next year I'll plan a bit better and try some of these out...

Sync, I'll third the Jimmys, warn that Shishitos have a cool taste, but it ain't all that sweet IME, and raise everyone some Kaleidoscopes, which are far and away my fav sweets each year (followed closely by Jimmys).

The Kaleidos are pretty prolific, very sweet, have just a touch of heat in the top, and are small enough to munch on (mine usually average 2.5-3".

They also produced *almost* all summer for me, and late into the fall. They're much more okay with temp extremes than other bell/sweets, IME.

Good luck in whatever you choose.

There's two no one mention yet. One is Cascabella, very productive, ripens from yellow to a deep orange red, and is 1,500 to 4,000 SKU, so less heat than a jalapeno.

Cascabellapepper8-27-10.jpg

The other is Sweet PIckle. This one is so cute, extremely prolific, no heat, very munchable.

SweetPicklepeppers8-27-10.jpg

This picture doesn't do it justice. It was covered with upright 2" long peppers in various shades of purple, cream, orange, and red. Very ornamental, ripens way earlier than a bell, and is sweeter too. I have seeds for both if you are interested.

hh, thanks for the SP pics. I'm growing several this year courtesy of Kappy, and they are already trying very hard to produce peppers. Have pinched numerous times. Everyone is potted up now, so it's time to let 'em run. Hope I get bundles and good to hear they're yummy. My wife will love 'em (and I'm sure I will, too)

Back