• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Sweetest peppers ever!

What are the sweetest peppers you guys have ever grown. Also, give a definition of sweet with reference to the variety you list.

I am growing sweet banana, shishito, and chervena chushka peppers this year. I have never eaten any of them....so I'll let you know once I have some pods!

i like this thread.

the time i notice that peppers are sweetest are dried.

and to round off that experience i have only really tried an Ancho ( dried pablano )

not dried i have tried a few but ancho would have to be my favorite sweet pepper.

Jimmy Nardello is said to be the sweetest non bell, most of the other really sweet peppers are usually some form of bell.

I am growing Early Sunsation, Sunbell, and Ariane this season. I will let you know how they turn out.

Josh said:
I am growing Early Sunsation, Sunbell, and Ariane this season. I will let you know how they turn out.

I grew Early Sunsation last season. They were pretty sweet and very sweet when dried. It's a nice yellow bell.

Thailand has one called prik yuak. It's tapered and about 3 - 31/2" long. There is a green one and an orange one. The heat is just noticeable. I like to include it in my salsa.

Favorite sweet pepper as a habanero? Hmm.. thats a new one for sure, atleast I've never heard a habanero referenced as a 'sweet pepper'.

Silver_Surfer said:
I grew Early Sunsation last season. They were pretty sweet and very sweet when dried. It's a nice yellow bell.

Thanks for the feedback. The sweet ones are mainly for my father so I hope he enjoys them.

Interesting question. That's one I've been wondering myself. I read from Bonnie Plants' site that some new pepper, called Yummy, is one of the sweetest peppers around and supposedly changes the minds of people who don't normally like peppers. Anyone growing any of those? Is it just marketing BS, and are they really as good and sweet as they claim they are? If I can find some plants around here I might pick one up.

A few others I've been curious about are Gypsy, Cubanelle, Giant Marconi, Bananarama (Burpee), and Sweet Costa Rican (Burpee). Too bad I don't have the space or money to try many this year; I'm going to have a garden mostly full of hot and superhot C. chinenses and a couple jalapeno plants. Oh well... maybe next year I'll try some, as well as several "sweet" chinense varieties (lots of those I wanna try...).

So far, I've only really tried sweet bananas. And hot bananas, but I could barely tell a difference, so either I was doing something wrong or they were just sweet... or there was a mix-up.

Lots of great comments guys....keep it coming!

In reading some of the replies and info online, it seems that numerous bells are often described as sweet. My taste buds do not fully agree with this statement. Bells are certainly not hot, but I would dare describe them as sweet. When I think of sweet I obviously think of a sugary flavor in some way and definitely not anything with heat, although in theory you could have a pepper that was sweet and hot. Just wondering if people were linking the absence of heat to a "sweet" taste. Just my two cents!

I'm definitely going to look into that Yummy plant. That sounds....well.....yummy!

I find bells are usually quite sweet especially when they ripen, just don't expect a green pepper of any type to be sweet.
One of my favorites these days is the giant aconcagua which is a fairly sweet, large, long pepper with no heat

I grew the Jimmy Nardello last year and was slightly disappointed. Everything I read about it said it was the sweetest. Got me thinking about real sweet, like apple sweet. Didn't happen. It is better than any other sweet pepper I've ever grown.

I know what you mean Patrick, the Jimmy Nardello description originall had me thinking sweet and juicy but the walls are just not thick enough for that desired fresh sweet juicy crunch. They did make a good sweet paprika and they produced fairly well from what I remember

POTAWIE, I guess now that I think about it, I've really only extensively tried green bell peppers. Have always just assumed that the red and yellow varieties were simply for asthetic value in cooking. We all know what happens when you ASSume right?! Anyway, this thread is turning out well. I'm learning about a lot of new "sweet" peppers that will be fun to try next year.

i never got to try this one but the source i got it from says its even sweeter than Nardello and corno di torro its called Shepards rams horn. i also am growing weavers mennonite stuffing have not tasted that before eather. marconi reds are great for roasting i did like stuffing my calwonders and i was referring to the sweet flavor of the habaneros

Josh said:
Thanks for the feedback. The sweet ones are mainly for my father so I hope he enjoys them.

Don't let him have them all. :)

Try drying some and then grind and blend them with some hot pepper powder for some added flavor depth. ;)

xcsports said:
i never got to try this one but the source i got it from says its even sweeter than Nardello and corno di torro its called Shepards rams horn. i also am growing weavers mennonite stuffing have not tasted that before eather. marconi reds are great for roasting i did like stuffing my calwonders and i was referring to the sweet flavor of the habaneros

Probably a super shepherd. They are a nice pepper but I 've grown better more productive Italian ram's horn types

Back