• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification.

Szechuan pepper

I was wondering if anyone has experience with growing Szechuan pepper. The Szechuan pepper originates from the South-East of China (very typical for Chengdu) and is not a true pepper, but more a fruit (also called flower pepper or mountain pepper). Only the husk of the fruits is used (grain is bitter and gives the unpleasant impression of having sand between the teeth), and has besides the spicy taste a strong tongue numbing effect. In local dishes it is always used in combination with chiles. Probably the most famous dish to use the combination is hot-pot, also called chinese fondue.
Has anyone tried growing them?

if im not mistaken its used in MA LAT soups. MA LAT = hot + numbing effect.

Do let me know if you do find the plant too :)

gvittman said:
I was wondering if anyone has experience with growing Szechuan pepper. The Szechuan pepper originates from the South-East of China (very typical for Chengdu) and is not a true pepper, but more a fruit (also called flower pepper or mountain pepper). Only the husk of the fruits is used (grain is bitter and gives the unpleasant impression of having sand between the teeth), and has besides the spicy taste a strong tongue numbing effect. In local dishes it is always used in combination with chiles. Probably the most famous dish to use the combination is hot-pot, also called chinese fondue.
Has anyone tried growing them?

OMG....couple of months back I had been to a chinese hole in wall type mom dad shop near my house. I saw this pepper type bag near chilli peppers but had no knowledge of it.
I will have to go there again and check out the=is new spice .

I think I have a job lined up for this new numbing SZECHUAN PEPPER.

Thanks for the info and links by other friends.

NJA

Give it a try. I really love the taste.
We usually bring the pods back from Chengdu, but if you buy them here, start with a small portion and give em a try. There is different qualities, and we western people are too easy to fool.
A good quality S. pepper should numb your tongue pretty good, definately the first time you eat it.
What they sell is the husks, but there is always some seeds left.

A few more links:
the chinese version
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zanthoxylum_simulans
and some fact sheet:
http://www.ces.ncsu.edu/depts/hort/consumer/factsheets/trees-new/zanthoxylum_simulans.html

What amazes me is the hardiness zone 5-7. Should be then no issue growing them in the Northern US or even Canada.

Also found this at Penzeys, strong, but not mouth-numbing. Gives a really bright burst of peppery flavor to food it's added to. It's got a really floral peppercorn smell and flavor.

Success.

Got myself the best quality from Mainland China.( and that too at a fraction of Penzy's Spices price)

See for yourself

4287713001_8645fb1d3a_o.jpg

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4037/4287715875_4756f8bdc7_o.jpg

Now, I am all set to use it.

NJA

LUCKYDOG said:
They were illegal in the U.S. for a while -- wanted to grow some a while back

Really??:shocked:

That's news to me.:rolleyes:

In US, all harmless things like pot and Extacy are illegal. All harmful things like GMO foods , Psychiatrists etc are Legal.:(

NJA

Congrats. Is indeed the true Hua Jiao. The back of the package says "the spirit of every Szechuan dish".
I tried to enlarge the photograph of the back, and I had the impression that there are some black seeds visible. Well, I'll let you know when mine start germinating.
Enjoy the food and please give some feedback.

I remember something about illegal. Hadn't that something to do with a plant desease? Is too long ago. I don't remember the details.

gvittman said:
Congrats. Is indeed the true Hua Jiao. The back of the package says "the spirit of every Szechuan dish".
I tried to enlarge the photograph of the back, and I had the impression that there are some black seeds visible. Well, I'll let you know when mine start germinating.
Enjoy the food and please give some feedback.

Can send you the seeds free of cost if you send me SABSE.
Thanks for the translation.

For your information, I almost did not get the SZECHUAN PEPPER because the Nerd looking chinese man manning the cash register could not follow what I said. I clearly spelt out HUA JIAO.
I tried three different speeds of pronouncing the name but every time he shook his head saying No No No. tHere is no such thing.
I went in and looked for the same near chilli peppers and there it was . LO..No english name on packet but picture I had seen tallied with the packet.

I brought the packet to the Nerd and asked him if it was same thing. Still he was shaking his head when
Luckily for me , his wife who is a very sharp lady came in. and confirmed that it was indeed SZECHUAN PEPPER.
Then she told her husband something in chinese and the man burst out laughing and said it was same thing which I said before. But being Indian, my pronounciation was greek and latin to him.
All is well that pays well. He got his 4 Dollars and I got what I wanted.

NJA

Looks good NJA! That bag is about 10-15 times what I got in a little jar at penzeys for a lower price. Might have to check my neighborhood asian store for it!

Hey NJA, thanks for making me laugh, and the seeds, just throw the in the cat litter box. I got plento, and only hope the suckers start growing. Shit ! I can imagine the frustration. Good the wife came came in. Guess the nerd might sleep in the barn tonight.

they're were banned in the US thanks to a citrus parasite (it turns out Sichuan peppercorns have more genes in common with oranges than peppercorns). In 2004 they became legal again by using a heat treatment that eliminates canker-causing bacteria it was approved by the U.S. Department of Agriculture

LUCKYDOG said:
they're were banned in the US thanks to a citrus parasite (it turns out Sichuan peppercorns have more genes in common with oranges than peppercorns). In 2004 they became legal again by using a heat treatment that eliminates canker-causing bacteria it was approved by the U.S. Department of Agriculture

I wonder if the heat treatment would render the seeds nonviable then. I guess there's only one way to find out

Wow, I am learning lots of new stuff. Related to oranges ... ? Amazing. Wouldn't that be a real market breakthrough, "spicy oranges". Hey, a guy needs to have hot dreams !!!

We brought ours directly from China, so there should be no heat treatment involved. My seeds have now had 5 days to think about coming up, but no sign yet. Made one mistake though. I put them with the chile seeds at a warm place, but read that these creatures live at 6000-15000 ft altitude. So, quickly put took them separate. I hope the warmth didn't damage the seeds.
Anyone has a link on how to grow them?

I tasted the peppers yesterday. Put some five or six of them in mouth and chewed them. Yes, they have a lemony /orangish taste .
A lil bit biting the tongue and lips but mostly tingling and Numbing locally.Inducing mouth juices to surge more than usual.

It is a NEW taste for me.

NJA

Back