• Start a personal food blog, or, start a community food thread for all.

t0mato's trials

Rubbed down and ready to go. I don't have room for the flat and the point so I'm going to do the flat.

Attachments

• IMG_4463.JPG
    IMG_4463.JPG
    133.8 KB · Views: 45
Nice ...

FWIW, I like the flat more in the mid 190's up to like 200F at max internal, because it def dries out ...

The point is the reason to go over 200F in my opinion ...

I think 190-195F plus a solid 45-60 minute semi-wrapped rest really lets the best collagen magic happen for as as nice as possible flat ...

From what I read on some BBQ forums as that 203 was the magic number.

This is my first brisket so I'll def play it safe and go 190's. When the meat jiggles just right I'll take it off and let it rest.

AmazingRibs loves 203F as a rule for a packer ...

I don't dispute it as a great temp for a whole packer, because the point really need to get all the way up there or there's too much fat between teh fiber bundles ...

But my flat is always a little bit dry if I let it go up there with the point ...

That's why I usually enjoy the point the 1st night (or morning, depending) - fresh - and use the flat for leftovers (which I can address with fats upon refrying or BBQ sauce or cheese etc) ...

I think the flat is really delicious when it's cook is arrest a little below 200F and it's allowed to tenderize over a nice slow, gradual rest ...

Saves 30-45 mins of cooking time, too - which is nice on a brisket IMO ...

Back