• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

T5 HO

OK, Craigslist. ... Nah, they only gots a POS stadium light for $50 tonight (somebody's gonna get riped off). Maybe tomorrow , or out of town somewhere.

Here's what I'm talking about.
003.jpg

I run a 6 tube t5ho and it covers 4 flats of 3.5 squares perfectly.
The trick is to run them VERY close to the plants.
I try to keep it 6" from the tops.

$129 shipped with grow bulbs, but have seen the same unit sold from $89 to $249.Note that this is only used for 3.5 pots, once they max out in those, they go into dirt.IMHO you would need 3 of these to grow out indoors, top, front and back, for light penetration---kind of defeats the purpose of energy savings and heat reduction.

This is all I could find by way of metal halide: http://atlanta.craigslist.org/wat/for/3699213221.html
Is this a good deal? I don't know anything about the MH lights, so i can't gauge quality.

This is what I found for t5 ho: http://atlanta.craigslist.org/atl/bab/3650183749.html
$40 cheaper than Amazon. It's tempting.

It does not have to be a "grow light" to work. Many of us use T12s or T8s or CFLs that are normal lights that work great. Many use those types of high bay Metal Halide or High Pressure Sodium and they work great as well.

That dose not look like a grow light to me. Plants react differently to various colors of light. See post #22
3E73K63L35Na5Lb5Fed3nd39e6a43b4811be2.jpg

Does it have to look like a grow light to be useful for plants?

No, you can rig ANYTHING as long as you have the most recommended spectrum (6500k) or anything closer to the blue spectrum like MH.

Take a 100w equivalent daylight fluoro and pop it on a desk lamp and bet you that'll work for any plant. Is it a grow light? No, but it works. As far as coverage that's another story. Sorry if I sounded like a douche, Sorry I just haven't had my breakfast.

,Vegas

I don't know if my post is still up about my T5HO build, but I found them to be a little too much for the space I stuck them in (8 bulb array in a GrowLab tent 2' x 4' x 4')

The plants were not happy. After a month I dialed it back to 4 bulbs and things were better. However I ended up with a major infestation from bad soil and had to trash everything.

I'm giving it another go this year, but I have my outdoor plants in my DIY tent under 4 CFLs and a cheap LED. They are happy.

I ended up purchasing that partially busted t5 6-bulb one on CL. It works great! I figured 350w is less money per month than 1000w by quite a bit, and I'm just using it to get seedlings to plant-out stage. Thanks everyone for your feedback!

Back