lighting T5 Lighting question

I'm looking at an 8 lamp T5 Fluorescent Fixture by UltraGrow which I will be putting in 3000K as well as 6500K bulbs in the 5000 lumen range. So this should give me around 40,000 total lumens for the grow. 

I have read that you need around 3,000 lumens per square foot of grow space? If this is not correct please let me know! But I have one hydroponic brown Moruga I will be growing as well as some other super hots in 5 gallon buckets. I also have 6 T12 fixtures that I have set up with 1900 lumen grow lights so a total of 12 1900 lumen grow lights ranging from 3000K to 6500K for the sides of the plants to get through the canopy. 

About how many plants do you think I should be able to support on this system? Let me know!

Heres a link to the fixture I'll be using.
http://www.1000bulbs.com/product/88239/PX-UGT548.html

To explain my setup I have built a frame out of wood that will mount the main T5 fixture to which I can adjust the height. To the sides on the mount I am attaching the T12 fixtures 3 on each side. So the mount itself will be 5 ft high, 4 feet long, and 4 feet wide. The outsides will be covered in mylar to reflect light, and of course heated.

I will be using this rig for some cross pollination during the winter so all blooms will be bagged to stop unwanted crossing! 

So if anyone could let me know if they think this will be enough light for at least 8-9 plants! If need be I can add higher lumen T12's to the mix as well

Wow, this post made me realize I need to step up my grow setup. Last year I bought a few shop lights and some warm and cool white lights and just went at it.

that's not going to cut it if you plan on keeping them indoors, they are great for getting closer to the plants due to low heat signature, but watt for watt mh/hps is the way to go, t5 will be great for the canopy but will not do much for the rest of the plant, your under growth will suffer greatly

in the end you will spend that, and figure out you will need more, then have to buy another light, check craigs list for savings, and its really not bad on the electric bill

I have improved allot since this last update

http://thehotpepper.com/topic/33916-pepperdans-glog-2012/?hl=pepperdan

Well my neighbor before he passes away gave me a ton of his indoor growing stuff so that is where I got the T12's. I have a greenhouse where I'll be putting them for a lot of the time so that should provide much if the light.

As for the leaves under the canopy I have the side T12 lights to make up for the non penetrating T5 lights!

for a 4x4 ft grow bed it would take about 10 T5 bulbs.  I learned about lighting the hard way, I thought I was going to be able to use a couple of T8 lamps that were called "plant and aquarium grow lights" from the local hardware store and ended up killing almost all my plants and half of my fish.  I picked up a book and did some research why my beds were in limbo and tried changing my lighting and it fixed everything within days. 

Ok thanks guys! I checked out Craigslist and found a 1000 watt HPS or MH for around 200. Would that cover what I am wanting to do?

LawrenceJ2007 said:
Ok thanks guys! I checked out Craigslist and found a 1000 watt HPS or MH for around 200. Would that cover what I am wanting to do?

Divide the lamp lumens by tha plant  canopy area......actual numbers are a lot better than opinions.

ikeepfish said:
for a 4x4 ft grow bed it would take about 10 T5 bulbs.  I learned about lighting the hard way, I thought I was going to be able to use a couple of T8 lamps that were called "plant and aquarium grow lights" from the local hardware store and ended up killing almost all my plants and half of my fish.  I picked up a book and did some research why my beds were in limbo and tried changing my lighting and it fixed everything within days. 
Soooo, what did you do?      Inquiring minds want to know  :lol:

Thanks everyone! I'm working on getting some HPS lighting for the winter! But yeah ikeepfish, tell us what you did we'd like to know!

PepTalk said:
Soooo, what did you do?      Inquiring minds want to know  :lol:
Pretty simple, got rid of those t8 bulbs (actually ended up using them for some tetras) and got one of these.

EnviroGro_T5_4FT_12_Tube_Fixture_wbulbs__47388.1347263908.1280.1280.jpg

Envirogrow 12 bulb
I'm fortunate enough that there's a hydroponic store in the city close to me, about a 30 mile drive still, but I didn't have to wait for it in the mail.
my grow space is in an unfinished basement and I have it hooked with some thin chains to the rafters in the ceiling, which makes it easy to raise and lower it.

ikeepfish said:
Pretty simple, got rid of those t8 bulbs (actually ended up using them for some tetras) and got one of these.

EnviroGro_T5_4FT_12_Tube_Fixture_wbulbs__47388.1347263908.1280.1280.jpg

Envirogrow 12 bulb
I'm fortunate enough that there's a hydroponic store in the city close to me, about a 30 mile drive still, but I didn't have to wait for it in the mail.
my grow space is in an unfinished basement and I have it hooked with some thin chains to the rafters in the ceiling, which makes it easy to raise and lower it.
Good God, look at the size of that thing....... I want one!

Back