Tabasco pod shape / colour

Hi, this is my first post here but I have been reading along all since around feb when it was seed starting time. I´m from Sweden and are currently growing a small number of chile plants on my south facing balcony. After a steaming hot july with temps around 35C (up on the balcony that is) resulting in zero pod set on my two tabascos they are finally starting to pod up.

I do however find that the pods on my two plants differ quite remarkably. On one of the plants the pods are dark green, wrinkly and rather stubby as seen in this pic. The pod in the picture are not as wrinkly as some of the other pods on the plant but many of them are.
IMG_5830.jpg

On the other plant the pods are pointier, smooth and light green as seen in this pic.
IMG_5829.jpg

Now i wonder wich one of them has the most standard tabasco traits? I'm assuming that some variation is common but still.

Thank you!

Welcome! Sorry about the blurry picture. This is the first color one sees: greenish-yellow. Then increasingly more yellow, then orange, then red.

web.jpg

:welcome: Kuret

I hate to burst you buble but I'm almost sure that tabasco pods point upwards... yours are more sideways. Not that it matters as long as you enjoy them.

I agree with chillilover and windchicken, tabasco fruits are more like pic 2 you posted. Light greenish/yellow.

Check my growlog, at the end of page 1 there's a pic of my tabasco plant. Use it to compare if you want.
I'm not saying that what I grow is the real deal because I really don't know, its my first year growing them too.

Bleash

Nice to see another Swedish face on the forum! Plants looking good, though they looks like annuums to me, Neither the less they are stunning!

I will update my own grow log tomorrow for the first time in about a month, please have a look! Could post a link in your guestbook!

Where in Sweden do you live?

Nice to see another Swedish face on the forum! Plants looking good, though they looks like annuums to me, Neither the less they are stunning!
Thank you, though I am pretty sure that the plants are C.Frutescens my proof being that their leaves and stem are dissimilar to the annums that I am growing and also that the flowers are light green instead of white as you can see in the first pic.

So there might be a chance that the peppers are not Tabascos but instead another kind of Frutescens which might not be too bad at all. There are some erect pods on my plant but most of them are growing sideways like those in the pics. Wonder if there will be a noticeable taste difference between the light green smooth and the dark green wrinkly peppers.

For those who are interested this is how the plants look side by side, almost identical I think.

IMG_5832.jpg

Thanks for the help everyone and Blafa. Jag bor i Stockholm och skriv gärna en notis när du uppdaterat loggen för det är alltid intressant att se hur det går för andra.

Can't figure out why the link to my Tabasco pik keeps breaking. Here's a couple of new photos I just took this morning:

39838_1392662979859_1330704158_31081221_208065_n.jpg

39838_1392663019860_1330704158_31081222_1614886_n.jpg

39838_1392663059861_1330704158_31081223_7533270_n.jpg

Thanks! They're easy to grow, also quite robust and productive. They and the Red Habs seem to revel in the nuclear summer, while the C. annuums sag in the heat of the day...

My buddy just got back from Vietnam, where he tells me it was 110+ every day. So, yeah, if you're getting the same weather, Tabasco should love it there!

Back