• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Taking cuttings

I am just curious on how many people have luck on taking cuttings off of pepper plants. I have gotten a few good cuttings from 1 of my bhuts when a branch broke off when I was moving the plant in the green-house. All I just did was stuck the branch in some potting soil and kept it moist, and it was sitting in the green-house all winter and today, I decided to check it out. The cutting still have fresh leaves on them with new ones growing, so I carrrrrrrrrrefully turned the pot upside down so I can take the pot off of the soil (as it's kinda packed down), and I saw some good roots.

Soooooo, I decided that if I get a few good plants going, I'm gonna take some cuttings of them and instead of using potting soil (which is not all sterile), I'll use some of these oasis wedges. I use oasis wedges for taking cuttings of my dahlia tubers and really like it. 1 advantage of oasis wedges, you can carefully take the wedges out of the tray and to see if any roots have formed. If not, I just put it back in the tray. Once rooting takes place, that is when I will put the cutting into soil. I do use 2 different forms of rooting hormone to take my dahlia cuttings, and I usually will get roots within a week. I use the liquid dip and some powdered rooting formula.

I would like to hear what your methods of taking cutting are...

thanks...

-Aaron

I built a bubble cloner. It is rubbermaid container with a few air stones in the bottom, about the size of a shoebox. It has about 20 holes in the lid for cuttings.

I simply cut off a branch with at least 2 nodes on it, remove the leaves from the bottom node, cut the remaining leaves in half to reduce water loss via transpiration. After taking the cutting, I make another cut at 45 degrees, this time under water to prevent embolisms forming. Then scrape a bit of tissue back to expose the phloem, giving a larger surface area for roots to form. Pop it in the cloner and stick the whole thing under some fluorescents. Don't need much light at this point.

I keep the water level low enough that the bottom of the cutting is above water, and the popping bubbles from the airstone flings water droplets up and keeps everything wet.

No hormones or anything besides pure H20. Fat hairy roots within 7-10 days. Sometimes faster depending on the plant.

That sounds like the exact same way one would clone weed Tex! I am sure YOU didn't learn it that way though...

Gnildir said:
oasis wedges.

*google, google, google*

Ah, ok.

I use oasis wedges for taking cuttings of my dahlia tubers and really like it. 1 advantage of oasis wedges, you can carefully take the wedges out of the tray and to see if any roots have formed. If not, I just put it back in the tray. Once rooting takes place, that is when I will put the cutting into soil. I do use 2 different forms of rooting hormone to take my dahlia cuttings, and I usually will get roots within a week. I use the liquid dip and some powdered rooting formula.

I don't anything so fancy. I was taught by a very old fashioned gardener to take a cutting of anything perennial in the fall, stick it in the ground in a sheltered location like the south side of the house, and see what sprouts in the spring.

For annual stuff, I use either water or dirt with a bit of rooting hormone if I have it. I put he dirt rootlings in one of those cheap semi-transparent plastic cups so I can see any root development with out disturbing the soil.

I keep thinking I need to update my techniques so I can get more rootlings faster, but there always seems to be something else to do. Especially since most of the plants I root are for other people.

Txclosetgrower said:
I built a bubble cloner. It is rubbermaid container with a few air stones in the bottom, about the size of a shoebox. It has about 20 holes in the lid for cuttings.

Did you post a picture of this one time? I think I remember someone on this group doing that, and I remember that it really intrigued me at the time.

I usually just put cuttings in damp sterile "soil" with a tall humidity dome, and I get decent results but never perfect. I've tried an aeroponic cloner and had pretty much the same results so I don't bother with it anymore.
Here's a nice looking cutting taken from A bigbang naga in December. Its actually doing better than the donor plant.

3294527349_f063097fef.jpg

Pam said:
Did you post a picture of this one time? I think I remember someone on this group doing that, and I remember that it really intrigued me at the time.

I can't remember if i did or not but I will when I get home. Someone built a much more complicated aeroponic cloner and posted pics. Mine is way simpler, just a shoebox shaped rubbermaid & 2 airstones. Here is the one you probably saw:

http://www.thehotpepper.com/showthread.php?t=7139

No, I wasn't posting then, maybe someone linked to it, but it was in a Rubbermaid container with holes cut in the lid.

Pam said:
For annual stuff, I use either water or dirt with a bit of rooting hormone if I have it.

You. Use. Hormones?

I don't even know if we can get rooting hormones in Sweden and I've never taken a cutting from a pepper. When it comes to other plants i mostly take a cuttling and stick it in the soil of the mother plant a few weeks before repotting, sometimes the roots are so bad I need a screwdriver or knife to get aa hole for the cutting...

Those who make it will survive, if you root the cutting in water 50% will die from chock (or something) when you put them in dirt IME.

MrArboc said:
You. Use. Hormones?

Ha! Busted!

You know, I've been using that white powder for so many years, I never stopped to think about it.

Damn you, now I'll have to look in to it.

Pam said:
*Gets out the Hedge Clippers of Doom (+5 against Australians)*

C'mere sweetie, lets see what cuttings I can get off you.

I didn't know that Aussies are reproduced by cloning. Would air layering be an appropriate technique?

Pam said:
Ha! Busted!

You know, I've been using that white powder for so many years, I never stopped to think about it.

Damn you, now I'll have to look in to it.

Abysmal depths!:shocked:

Armadillo said:
I didn't know that Aussies are reproduced by cloning. Would air layering be an appropriate technique?

Well, it was reproduction I was going to...er...nip in the bud.

Yeah.

*le sigh*

I think I'll go have a beer.

call that transplant shock, that is why I like using oasis... plants will either take or hold, if they dont take, I find a different potting soil... It takes a few days to see if they take.

!

Armadillo said:

air layering.... slow... slow... slow... more for woody plants..

Txclosetgrower said:
It's covered in metallic tape to block light. I couldn't find an opaque box that size.

That is pretty simple, and far more doable than most I have seen.

Thanks!

MrArboc said:
You. Use. Hormones?

I don't even know if we can get rooting hormones in Sweden and I've never taken a cutting from a pepper. When it comes to other plants i mostly take a cuttling and stick it in the soil of the mother plant a few weeks before repotting, sometimes the roots are so bad I need a screwdriver or knife to get aa hole for the cutting...

Those who make it will survive, if you root the cutting in water 50% will die from chock (or something) when you put them in dirt IME.

I am pretty sure that you have willows growing around there. Find some nice clean branches and stick them in water, like you are trying to take cuttings, and a few days to a week later, you can use this water for a few days on your cuttings. Willows produce a lot of hormone for growing (thus, weed trees, break off a branch, bury it, and it will grow, and it happens too much around here. My neighbors are losing their riverfront view because, technically, we can't cut the trees that are growing along the river...)

Back