• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Tansplant/Shift up question

I have some plants from last year that need to be shifted up to bigger pots, I should have done it earlier, things is they are blooming hard and have a fair amount of pods on them. I want to shift them to 7gal pots, do a litle root pruining, can I do this or will they shock a little and drop the pods/flowers?

When I've repotted to late, the tiny pods stay tiny and then ripen before much new growth occurs, seems to delay the next flush a bit. If you trim roots they may drop. Now I would take the pods off.

Here's what I am doing:
1st prune back. Wait a week or so for the wounds to heal. Wash foliage and remove any pests
Repot and break up/prune the root ball. Wash foliage and remove any pests.
Keep in a shadier spot until new growth appears, then move to sunny spot

From where you're located I'm assuming this is an outdoor transplant. If so there's no reason to root prune, especially if the flaps are up and its barreling down the runway.
No need to stop it when its taking off. The root prune/cutback/spa bath is recommended if you're bringing an outdoor plant indoors. (pest preventive)
But if your only potting up you can do it any time. Just introduce some of the existing medium from that pot to the new one and tease up the root ball a bit. Add new compost or your choice of soil to larger container . Mix it up and set your plant in slightly deeper. Add some soil to the pot, give it a drink of water. That will help the initial soil take foot then add the remainding soil tamp down slightly and water until it comes out the drainholes.
I like to add some root stimulator to the water and also scatter some 10-10-10 on top and scratch that in under the 1st inch of medium.
That's it...............kinda like planting landscaping shrubs...

Greg

Back