• If you can't find a "Hot" category that fits, post it here!

Taste for hot foods genetic?

There is a side effect to consuming cap. When your mouth thinks it's just been torched, your brain goes into panic mode and releases happiness chemical, like how breaking a bone or receiving other injury will do the same until you are out of harm's way. The only thing I don't get, is that because it's nearly the same amount cocaine releases, how is that stuff addictive?

I'm glad there are lenses other than addiction models through which to view chile appreciation.
_____

The twin seasonings in my childhood household were grease and salt.  My parents regard black pepper as incendiary.  (I've half-joked that the pepper shaker contents are original, a time capsule from 1962.)  The sibling and I somehow developed or discovered broader palates with an expanded heat tolerance.
_____

Touching on evolutionary irony, didn't these plants develop heat to repel creatures such as mammals who have seed-viability-destroying digestive tracts?  Now we're spreading these plants' genes across the planet . . . the hotter, the better.

I think it has more to do with exposure than genetics. My father's side of the family has Jamaican ancestry, yet I have only 1 Uncle plus myself on that side that enjoy spicy food. If genetics had something to do with it I'm sure more than just 1/6 of my grandparents children and 1/12 of their grandkids would have a taste for it. 
My exposure came through my mother, who enjoys "general public" very spicy food. However I can't comment on genetics here as my mother was adopted so not sure of the ancestry there. It could go either way for me, but personally I'd lean more to exposure than genetics as I know quite a few people who come from families that can't handle any heat at all, yet they love it due to exposure elsewhere.

My mom used to make her own tabasco sauce when I was a lil chil'ren.... my dad said his dad used to put bird's eye peppers on his meals every night

My mom used to make her own tabasco sauce when I was a lil chil'ren.... my dad said his dad used to put bird's eye peppers on his meals every night

Don't forget dat alligator in a sauce piquante in you' baby bottle.

ms1476 said:
So you have no clue what you are writing about and are admitting that you are wiki-searching something you cannot explain. So sodium is not what you "meant", it was just a glitch due to fast typing. So you believe that tolerence is something other than tolerence when you are using the word tolerence in the context of genetics.

Trust me, anyone with an education in these things was convinced from the moment you began spewing telegraphic psychobabble that you were wiki-hunting with no clue about the subject. Punnett squares? Those will not get you where you need to be when tracing a polygenic trait's neuropathway.

What irked me the most was the misunderstanding of evolution and not knowing the history of peppers.

Anyway,

I don't think there is much of a genetic factor. I think it's mostly from building a tolerance.

If it's genetic then I must be adopted. Growing up I had very little exposure to different types of food but always tried something new when I had the chance. My dad was strictly a meat and potatoes man until being diagnosed with diabetes a few years back. He'll now eat some vegetables but is still very fussy. At least he's lost the belly and is healthier now. My mum is more a meat and 3 veg eater but is also quite fussy when it comes to anything else. My older sister is exacty like my dad used to be and my younger sister is a little more adventurous than my mum. None of my family besides me likes the hot stuff. I put it down to having an open mind when it comes to food, I'll bet most people who like it hot are not fussy eaters and will give almost anything a go. Except chicken in a can, nobody wants to eat chicken in a can.

20090430-cannedchicken-shloop.jpg

swellcat said:

Touching on evolutionary irony, didn't these plants develop heat to repel creatures such as mammals who have seed-viability-destroying digestive tracts?  Now we're spreading these plants' genes across the planet . . . the hotter, the better.

frabz-WHOA-6848eb.jpg

That is the most awful thing I have seen all week.

And look at the kid in the background. He has got some kind of leprosy from eating canned chicken. You poor child.

mx5inpa said:

Probably. If a mother likes the heat that gene will switch on and not reset in children as previously thought. However, it can switch back off if they dont get the spice.

I didnt even change the order, i just erased everything else (nothing in between these two).

I just wanted to point out how you said nothing is absolute then followed it with an absolute.

Besides the fact that genetics arent even absolute. Given the fact that nurture over nature has been winning the debate.
Absolute = unchanging. It is a science term. No stage of the process is without the ability to change. Tolerance is purely genetic = changes throughout the brain. You people need to stop the Wiki-madness. Education is the key.

ms1476 said:
Absolute = unchanging. It is a science term. No stage of the process is without the ability to change. Tolerance is purely genetic = changes throughout the brain. You people need to stop the Wiki-madness. Education is the key.

None of your ad hominems and non sequiturs change the fact that you said nothing is absolute and then said something as an absolute in the very next sentence.

Make up your wikimind.
Maybe we should segue into psychology and find out why you keep mentioning Wikipedia so much.

I mean...I have my guess. What's yours?

Back