• Please post pictures and as much information as possible.

Tasty Looker is Mystery to Me (Pics)

This one is out of left field for me, but perhaps one of you recognize it. It shares nothing in common with anything I am currently growing. It tastes a bit like a hot, juicy Lemon Aji but is about the size of a bhut. Most of the pods turn purple for quite some time (see right side), before turning yellow. This could be a suntan reaction particular to this specific plant. I took a flower picture (below), and there's lots of pods on a single node. Any ideas? I think it's a keeper.

21017273166_cfc89762fc_c.jpg

20855589598_05769bcb0b_c.jpg

Thanks for any thoughts!

SmokenFire said:
Peppers on the right look sunscalded.  Overall it looks like a Datil plant to me.  Just my inexperienced take though! ;)

They do kinda. Could be. I have never grown Datils. The seed either came from me or Baker Heirloom. I grew a few Jimmy Nardellos - and had to reload once because of germination issues, so I tried a commercial seed I had lying around. Not sure which took, but one grew true and this was the other. If it's a suntan reaction, it isn't harming the pod an any way (they were under a sunshade). These suckers are pretty long. Strange (and fun) things happen when you grow a bunch of varieties!

SmokenFire said:
Peppers on the right look sunscalded.  Overall it looks like a Datil plant to me.  Just my inexperienced take though! ;)

Yea, I am gonna say Datil also, the shape on them tend to vary a little bit but the size of the peppers is the tell.  1.5 to 2" long thereabouts and the striking shiny yellow color. 

I have two plants of them this year, another tell is the seed size.  Open them up, Datil peppers have smallish size seeds compared to some other Hab type or chinense peppers. 

cheers

hottoddy said:
You guys are probably right. These pods are about 3 inches though. Jumbo Datils. They are tasty, and i can chomp them raw without much problem. I bet I got incorrect seed from Bakers.

I guess my guesstimation is off on size.  I pulled some pods and measured, they average between 1,5 and 3" in length.  As I said, open up a pod and look at the seeds Datil peppers have seeds on the smaller side, not like a normal Habanero.

cheers

Back