• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification.

Tastyest chili pod

I am hoping to at least grow one good Bhut pod this year, just so I can say I survived the bite, and to see if they taste as good as ya'all say.... :D

I don't have enough experience yet. I've had tons of orange Habs and stuff but nothing exotic yet. BUT I do have Bhuts, White Habs, 7 pods, Trini Scorps, Dorsets, and a few others to expand on once my plants start producing.

I'm so glad you asked this question. I have been looking for updated opinions that include some of the new chiles that have surfaced in the recent years. This is my first year growing and after searching and searching this from 2005 was the only thing I could find. So I used it as my starting point but I am looking forward to next year when I will be starting from seed instead of buying the plants from CCN. The list below was originally posted by someone named groovy1. I edited it to clean it up and move up datil's to #4 to match his comments a few posts down. The original cane be found buy googling "best tasty peppers"

Top 10 Best Tasting:

1) Jamaican Hot Chocolate
2) Scotch Bonnet - TFM
3) Burkina Yellow Scotch Bonnet
4) Datil
5) Antillais Caribbean
6) Martinique Habanero
7) Harold's St. Barts
8) Venezuelan Sweet Hab or Sweet Datils are a close second to these
9) Chocolate Habanero or Congo Black
10) Scotch Bonnet, True Jamaican Scotch Bonnet (Yellow Scotch Bonnet)
11) Tied for 11th place: Fatalii, Caribbean Red Hab, Limon, Cumari ou Passarinho, Madame Jeanette, Red Scotch Bonnet, Red Habanero, Cumari, Billy Goat, Davie Peach Habanero, West Indian Red, Francisca Habanero, Beth's Large Yellow Hab, Scotch Bonnet, Big Sun, Beth's Market Peach, the yellow Bonda Ma Jacques.

He also did a great detailed grow season review of 33 chiles. If you have not seen it google "review of peppers grown 2005". I wish more people would do something like this. I plan to try to do it with the 29 I am growing this season. I imagine it is harder to do than it looks trying to remember and differentiate between so may peppers then put it into words.

It would be nice to have a poll where you could vote for the best tasting variety of 7 pod, bhut jolokia, habanero, bonnet, superhot, etc. although if enough people respond here it would be a great resource to have in a single thread.
Great to be of help!!!

I'm so looking forward to trying some of the new Numex heritage types with 500 times more flavor. I wonder how they measure flavor? Probably just a brix test with a refractometer but I'm not sure.

"Dr. Paul Bosland, director of the Chile Pepper Institute, said decades of breeding practices that emphasized the traits of plant yield and disease resistance have caused several green chile varieties to lose their signature taste and aroma. The new chile peppers still have beneficial traits for farmers but also have 500 percent more flavor."
http://www.scottrobertsweb.com/NMSU-Produces-Super-Chile-With-500-Percent-More-Flavor-and-Aroma

Favorite pepper as a main dish: Red Rocoto, stuffed with ground beef, cooked rice, and cheese, then baked. Best dang pepper recipe in the world!

Favorite pepper for gourmet sauce pepper: Aji Amarillo.

Favorite pepper for salsas, hot sauces, taco sauces, or crushed(and put on everything!): Piquins

For the really hot ones, I have only had orange habanero and bhut jolokia. Loved the taste of both, but the jolokia was pretty special. The fatalii, rocotto, and datil are the ones I am most anxious to taste now. I won't be growing any this year, but I am looking to buy (or have donated :)) from the veterans on THP.

Back