• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Tatts' first time growing anything from seed

[SIZE=10.5pt]I have never grown anything from seed before, nevermind had much of a garden. My very limited gardening experience is a couple of herbs, Mint and Parsley, which are 2 plants that you almost can't kill. I also have some Rosemary plants that were in the house when we bought it and a Lemon Tree that we recently purchased and have put in a pot. [/SIZE]
[SIZE=10.5pt]My experience with chilli plants is limited, I [/SIZE]bought a few chilli plants (not even sure what they are, Thai variety of some type) from a market and I have kept them alive for about a month so far.
[SIZE=10.5pt] [/SIZE]
[SIZE=10.5pt]Since I have no idea what I’m doing, any advice along the way would be much appreciated. I am in Melbourne, Australia and we have a temperate climate. Winter (June-August) night time temps occasionally get below 0°[/SIZE] (Celsius) and in Summer our hottest day for the year will be low to mid 40’s.

[SIZE=10.5pt] [/SIZE]
[SIZE=10.5pt]I love chillies so when I found this site and the opportunity to get some seeds from members, I jumped at the chance.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10.5pt] [/SIZE]
[SIZE=10.5pt]Thanks to JungleRain and his huge seed list and [/SIZE]Micca for his seasoning pepper seeds I had 6 strains to plant last night. I purchased a heated mini greenhouse and some peat pellets on the weekend in anticipation of planting all the seeds once they arrived.

[SIZE=10.5pt] [/SIZE]
[SIZE=10.5pt]Initially I put some water in a bucket, soaked the peat pellets and placed 6 seeds from each variety in warm cups of water. After about an hour I plugged in the greenhouse so it would start warming up - first mistake - and then drained the pellets, placed them in the mini greenhouse tray and then added 2 seeds per pellet.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10.5pt] [/SIZE]
[SIZE=10.5pt]I planted 3 pellets each of:[/SIZE]

• [SIZE=10.5pt]Seasoning Peppers[/SIZE]

• [SIZE=10.5pt]Bahamian Goat Pepper[/SIZE]

• [SIZE=10.5pt]Fatalii Yellow[/SIZE]

• [SIZE=10.5pt]Antillais Caribbean[/SIZE]

• [SIZE=10.5pt]Habanero Giant White[/SIZE]

• [SIZE=10.5pt]Habanero Chocolate[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10.5pt] [/SIZE]
[SIZE=10.5pt]I knew I had to have them correctly labelled else I would struggle to know which one was which so I also bought some white plant marking things. I wrote the names of each seed on the sticks and put them behind the pellets. I spaced them out across the trays - second mistake - in front of their respective markers.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10.5pt] [/SIZE]
[SIZE=10.5pt]All done I wanted to take a photo of the greenhouse with everything finished. I had it on the bench and there was a few other things around so I thought I'd move it to a clear spot for a better photo. Remember my first mistake, well I forgot to unplug it before I started walking with it. Took 2 steps, the plug caught, jerked the greenhouse and knocked over all the pellets. Luckily I didn't drop the whole thing so that was a positive, I guess. [/SIZE]

[SIZE=10.5pt]My second mistake meant they were only sitting in the tray loosely and once they fell over they were a bit mixed up. I re-organised them but I'm not sure that I have them back in the correct order :([/SIZE]

[SIZE=10.5pt] [/SIZE]
[SIZE=10.5pt]So now I have 18 pellets with 2 seeds in each, hopefully correctly marked. sigh.[/SIZE]

I placed the greenhouse on top of the fridge, plugged it back in and turned it on. This morning when I checked it before work it had a fair bit of condensation in it. I opened one of the vents and it was quite warm. I don't have a thermometer so perhaps that should be my next purchase.
[SIZE=10.5pt] [/SIZE]
[SIZE=10.5pt]As I go along I will post updates along with some photos.[/SIZE]

*Edit: Added photo

[SIZE=10.5pt]Adrian[/SIZE]

Mitch_from_OZ said:
Looking great Adrian! I'm in Melbourne also and my plants are a little behind yours. I grabbed the same heated propagator from Bunnings too. Good luck with your grow!
Seems there are quite a few from Melbourne and surrounds on here :)
What varieties are you growing?

KingLeerUK said:
It's good to see that you are getting a result!  I tried to use peat pellets before in my grow and have had nothing but frustration; either too wet or too dry to ever get anything to germinate and survive.

Do you have drain holes on your Solo cups?
I haven't found them too bad. Not sure they are worth getting again. I will try some seed trays and see how i feel about them.
One definite advantage for the Peat Pods is the transplanting is super easy.

I probably should have mentioned the cups. Yep, i put two holes in the bottom of each which seems to be enough for them to drain ok.

I'm finally organised enough to post some photos from my camera instead of from my phone.
Here is the White Hab a few weeks ago v's yesterday.

I picked up one of the plants that is still in a peat pot but hasn't been transplanted yet. I was surprised at the number of roots that had come through:

The other half tried to grow a Bhut Jolokia earlier this year. It sprouted ok but we were heading into winter so it has been rather dormant. I put it outside a few weeks ago to give it some sun. This is what happens if you don't harden them first, sunburn.

It has a few tiny leaves growing so i don't think i killed it but lesson learnt. Is there a special name for the new growth?

I also planted a few tomato plants earlier this week and here is the first one that germinated, a couple Juane Flamme's.

Not much to report, all are growing well. The white hab is getting huge.
I gave away a few plants to family and friends as I was running out of room.

Back