• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

TBG's First Chilli Blitz! (2017-18)

G'day G'day!
Welcome to my very first glog, I hope you like it: ;)

This is my first time growing peppers seriously. Last season was my first; I grew 3 Jalapenos, 3 Habaneros,  a Naga Viper, Thai Hot, Cap Mushroom Red and an Ebony Fire, all bought from the store at various maturities.
And then I found TheHotPepper around March this year, and if my grow last year sparked my interest, THP nuked it! I've been super keen for this season, and now its started!

I started a few seeds of Aji Amarillo for the SHGDTD on the 22nd June, and currently have 2 seedlings, awaiting the third and final to pop.

This year, I'm thinking that I'm attempting to kinda try to limit my grow to roughly three dozen plants (even I'm not convinced), but we'll see what happens.
I don't really have much of a grow list, just a list of varieties that I have at the moment and I'd like to grow. 
So here's something that resembles a Grow List, its not set in stone; I'll end up not growing some on here, and I'll end up growing some that aren't on here.

-- The Grow List --

- Aji Amarillo
- Carolina Reaper
- Naga Viper Purple
- Aji Lemon
- Brazilian Starfish
- Jay's Peach Ghost Scorpion
- MoA Scotch Bonnet
- Scotch Brain
- Aji Jobito X BBG7 Choc (Shorerider's)
- Choc 7 Pot
- Malih-helow
- Peter Pepper Yellow
- Rocoto
- Bahamian Goat Pepper
- Cayenne X Bhut (Shorerider's)
- Red/Green Bell
- Habanero Mix (Red Savina & Tiger Paw)
- Prik Kee Nu Suan
- Bhut Jolokia Red
- Corno Di Toro Rosso
- Aji Pineapple
- Trinidad Scorpion CARDI
- Jalapeno
- Trinidad Perfume
- Trinidad Moruga Scorpion
- Tabasco
- 7 Pot Jonah Red
- Bishop's Hat
- Cap Mushroom Red
- Sugar Rush Peach
- Yellow Bell
- Goat's Weed
- Rocoto Aji Largo
- Trinidad Scorpion Butch-T

So yeah, that 36 plant limit is very dubious.

But before I go on, I'd like to send out a HUGE THANK YOU to Blitz527, as well as everyone who got on board the Aussie Seed Train, my grow is substantially due to your generosity!
So THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

And now its time to get down to business, The Grow!

I started 9 varieties on Saturday (1st July), giving them a chamomile bath and then into the paper towel in the incubator (which only fits 9 varieties)

The Bath Tub:

The Incubator:

So the first batch for this season is:
- Naga Viper Purple
- Scotch Brain
- Aji Jobito X BBG7 Choc 
- Choc 7 Pot
- Carolina Reaper
- Jay's Peach Ghost Scorpion
- MoA Scotch Bonnet
- Bahamian Goat Pepper
- Bhut Jolokia Red

And not forgetting the Aji Amarillo that have already started.

You'll notice a few other seedlings in the background, they're from seed I kept from last season's grow, but they all got mixed up. So I decided to sow some of the mixed up stuff back in April to make sure that they were all okay and would actually grow. Three of them have purple foliage, so they must be Ebony Fire. The rest are either Jalapeno or Thai Hot. (There's 6 all up)
I've had them slowly growing on a windowsill since April, but I got my growbox set up yesterday (writing this on the 4th July) and chucked them into it. They're looking happier already!

But anyway,
When this lot pops, I'll start the next, and so on and so forth till I declare that I have sufficient Varieties!

Here's to hoping for a great season and a great glog, I hope you guys enjoy it as much as I will!!!

:cheers:
Thanks for stopping by, I'm looking forward  to sharing my progress with you, I'm aiming for at least weekly.

4/7/17 EDIT: Replaced the dodgy photo links, and added some info about some seedlings I've already started.

PaulG said:
Pepper plants look healthy and active, TBG!

Pods will come, and loads of them!  Get ready, buddy!

Forgot to respond to this earlier, my apologies!

Thanks! What else can I say? :D The plants are acting prolific, I'm not sure if they are hosting an above average number of buds, flowers and pods, as I have nothing really to compare it to from my own experience, but I'm stoked with how well they are doing nonetheless! I'm definitely gonna have to get creative to deal with all the pods!

PaulG said:
Hey, TBG -  Happy New Year!

Hope you made it safely into the new year   :party:

We are still 11+ hours way

mrwrx said:
Happy New Year to you too.

Thanks both for the New Year's wishes!

Now, time for an update... :woohoo:

Lotta pics here, so I'm uploading in bulk, so can't quite talk about them individually.

First 2 are of Tabasco, I really like its bushy shape.
Then we have a Malih-helow pod developing.
Then its Cayenne X Bhut, which is going off! 2 Photos, pods and plants. One plant is a lot smaller, dunno why, but it acts healthy...
Pods developing of something? lol. Probably Scorpion cardi.
Amarillo flower & pod, then overall shot and cucumber!

Old(ish) photos, playing catch-up with myself on here!

More updated stuff to come! :party:

Things are looking superb TBG. I'm impressed with all the poddage and overall garden progress.

What are you growing in the upside down pot ... some mushrooms?

Hope 2018 brings you more ripe peppers than you can find a use for.

KAOS said:
Things are looking superb TBG. I'm impressed with all the poddage and overall garden progress.

What are you growing in the upside down pot ... some mushrooms?

Hope 2018 brings you more ripe peppers than you can find a use for.

:rofl:

That's a makeshift stand for the sprinkler, so it can reach all corners of the patch. If its at ground level, the closer plants block the outer plants from getting water.

But thanks for the good vibes!

Updated update time!

These photos are fresh off the press! Taken less than 1 hour ago!

Lets see them! :woohoo:

First of all, I mulched the large middle row on the weekend.

Just used an inch or so of lawn clippings, because we're now heading into the warmer part of the year! :onfire: Usually get a week or so of decently hot weather (35oC +) in mid-late January, and I don't want the plants shedding all their leaves like my habaneros did last year! Albeit they were in pots, in full sun on those days..... but they survived after being moved to the shade! The pepper patch obviously can't be moved around the yard, but out of sheer luck, a nearby tee starts to shade it from 2pm, and it is in full shade by 4pm. So, it gets morning-midday sun, and then shade, which I believe is a darn good set-up! We'll see how it goes anyway, I haven't had any of the in-ground plants near wilting at all, as opposed to the veggie bed and the pots, which have.

But more photos, because more exciting news!

I finally got the back row of the Pepper Patch filled! About  :censored:  time!

The new inhabitants are:

Brazilian Starfish
Aji Lemon
Orange Wild Brazil
Prik Kee Nu Suan
Habanero Mix
Big Jim
Purple Naga Viper
Red/Green Bell
Komodo Dragon
Goat's Weed

So there is now 40 plants in the ground! :woohoo:

Now time for a tour of pods!

Malih-Helow

Aji Jobito X BBG7 Choc

Cyclic-Cayenne X Bhut

Cayenne X Bhut (also seen previously for comparison)

Jalapeno

Trinidad Scorpion CARDI

D3's El Scorponero f2 (Plant 3)

Goat's Weed

Big Jim

Aji Amarillo

The two Amarillo plants, side-by-side.

Taller one (#1) is 80-85cm, other (#2) is 50-55cm.

Here you can see how its grown around the decapitation point.

And my one and only Pubescens, The Rocoto.

To finish off, an overall shot of the Pepper Patch. It should be interesting to see how long it takes for the new arrivals to catch up.

Thanks for stopping by! As always, any questions, comments or concerns are more than welcome!

All The Best, TBG. :dance:

drathag said:
Looks amazing! I wish I had that many in my patch...
Out of interest, How much space have you got between plants?

Thanks! I think its both a blessing and a curse... it takes a lot of maintenance, but should hopefully reap a lot of rewards! But even then, a flood of pods itself is both a blessing and a curse....  :think:

And then I've still got about 2 dozen plants left to find a home for!!!!!! I've bitten off more than my wallet can chew this season, but I'll try to swallow it all the same...

There's approximately 50cm between each plant. (There should be exactly 50 but I don't think I was too accurate!)

There's a bit less than 1m between rows. 

KAOS said:
Great going TBG and that Amarillo looking superb. It's trunk must be at least an inch think now.

Can't wait to see some more pod pics and you will be getting some colour in the near future.

Cheers! I wouldn't mind having a few pods on it by now, but all in good time I guess...

Funnily enough, I went out and measured the trunk yesterday, and its spot on 1 inch (give or take 1 mm). So there ya go!

X-post from D3's Community Crossing Project for a focus on the crosses of his that I've got growing!

As a quick refresher, I've got growing:

4x Devil's Prick F2
3x Aji Painapple F2
4x 7 Pot Burgundy X CGN 21500 F2
4x El Scorponero F2

Here's the 4 Devil's Pricks

Here's the 3 Aji Painapple, youngest in the front, then middle, then eldest.

Only the eldest is up to flowering/budding yet, but it isn't wanting to do so.

Most of its forks have no buds, which is quite strange, as all the other plants are producing quite well.

Here's a shot of it.

And here's the most advanced plant out of all the project crosses -  El Scorponero No. 3.

It's got pods!  :woohoo: And they look gnarly!  :onfire:

Most of the plants in this picture are the crosses, of various ages & sizes.

And there we go! That's where I am with those crosses at the moment! My other, non-D3 crosses are of course the Cayenne X Bhut and the Aji Jobito X BBG7 Choc.

I'd say its prime time for another update!

Not too much is going on, plants are growing, pods are showing, and growing and growing! Seriously, I thought Tabasco was meant to be small?!?! I'm pretty sure the seeds are right, because everything is hunky-dory, except for the fact that the pods are getting bigger and bigger, with not a hint of colour!

The Malih-Helow is also getting quite big, surely it'll colour up soon??? From what I've gathered, they get to about this size...

I had a pleasant surprise when I found a pod on the White Fatalii! :woohoo:

Everything else is getting bigger, Aji Jobito X BBG7 Choc

Albanian Red Hot (no sign of its trademark corking yet)

Jalapeno - I'm very tempted to pick it, especially considering Mexican is on the menu tomorrow.... :think:

The Trinidad Scorpion Cardi is doing very well, but found this on a pod today:

Any ideas as to what is the culprit? How to treat? Obviously this pod is a write off, but I've left it on the plant for the time being.
I'm gonna do a thorough check of all the plants to see if there's anymore damage. Hopefully not!

Another Scorpion

D3's El Scorponero

The Big Jim is definitely living up to its name, soon the pod will be too big for the plant!

And the Orange Wild Brazil is starting to show some pods.

Aaaand, to wrap things up, Aji Amarillo No. 1 FINALLY has flowers! 6 months, 1 week and 1 day from germination!

Also, the stem is in fact 1 inch wide!

That's all for now, thanks for stopping by!

aaaand...

All The Best, TBG. :party:

Nice. Very nice.

That Scorpion Cardi has a very sad face though.

ddd.jpg

ThatBlondGuy101 said:
I'd say its prime time for another update!

Not too much is going on, plants are growing, pods are showing, and growing and growing! Seriously, I thought Tabasco was meant to be small?!?! I'm pretty sure the seeds are right, because everything is hunky-dory, except for the fact that the pods are getting bigger and bigger, with not a hint of colour!

The Malih-Helow is also getting quite big, surely it'll colour up soon??? From what I've gathered, they get to about this size...

I had a pleasant surprise when I found a pod on the White Fatalii! :woohoo:

Everything else is getting bigger, Aji Jobito X BBG7 Choc

Albanian Red Hot (no sign of its trademark corking yet)

Jalapeno - I'm very tempted to pick it, especially considering Mexican is on the menu tomorrow.... :think:

The Trinidad Scorpion Cardi is doing very well, but found this on a pod today:

Any ideas as to what is the culprit? How to treat? Obviously this pod is a write off, but I've left it on the plant for the time being.
I'm gonna do a thorough check of all the plants to see if there's anymore damage. Hopefully not!

Another Scorpion

D3's El Scorponero

The Big Jim is definitely living up to its name, soon the pod will be too big for the plant!

And the Orange Wild Brazil is starting to show some pods.

Aaaand, to wrap things up, Aji Amarillo No. 1 FINALLY has flowers! 6 months, 1 week and 1 day from germination!

Also, the stem is in fact 1 inch wide!

That's all for now, thanks for stopping by!

aaaand...

All The Best, TBG. :party:

Looking extremely good Nev, good on ya!
The damaged pod looks to me luke a bird pecked at it. Annoying, but you could put up a low row cover with some netting to keep them out.
Cheers!

Sent from my LGL44VL using Tapatalk

KAOS said:
Nice. Very nice.

That Scorpion Cardi has a very sad face though.

ddd.jpg

stickman said:
Looking extremely good Nev, good on ya!
The damaged pod looks to me luke a bird pecked at it. Annoying, but you could put up a low row cover with some netting to keep them out.
Cheers!

Sent from my LGL44VL using Tapatalk

Thanks fellas! I'd be relieved if it is a bird-attack, as its a much better alternative to what I thought it may be, an infestation of some sort of insect or grub! I've got some mesh handy if I do end up needing to keep the birds out.

Teaks said:
Any poddage going on the crosses we're hoping for??

Not yet, neither the Big Jim or the Bell have flowers on them at the moment, the one flower that I did get a chance to have an attempt at on the Big Jim didn't take. So yeah, as soon as some flowers appear on the "Big" half of the cross, I'll get to work pollinating!

I'm hoping that the Cardi Scorpion is from TheHippySeedCompany, as they call their's "Giant Yellow Cardi Scorpion" (https://thehippyseedcompany.com/product/giant-yellow-cardi-scorpion/), and there's a good chaance that it is, as the pods are the light green that usually means that the end colour is yellow. Time will tell, but if so, then there's a good chance the cross will be successful in producing Big Pods with Big Heat!

Update time! :woohoo:

Fairly decent amount of pictures here (21 to be precise) so I apologise if it slows things down.

EDIT: Turns out I've maxed the number of pics, so looks like I'm gonna have to do this in halves!

In the meanwhile, things are doing everything except for slowing down!

Where to begin?

Here's the pots:

The biggest pod on Amarillo No. 2:

Amarillo No. 1 is now taking off (again!)

Aaaand, we've got other baccatum flowers!

Brazilian Starfish:

And Aji Lemon!

Here's a few overall shots of the Pepper Patch:

And a shot from the old comparison angle:

Here's what it looked like on 21st December:

Update 15/01/2018 Part 1/2

Back