• If you have a question about commercial production or the hot sauce business, please post in The Food Biz.

TB's Tres Putas Pequin Sauce

Hey ya'll. I got it goin' on last eve in The Blues Kitchen with some pequin hot sauce. Long story short, ratholing my picked pequins for sauce is not a talent I have. I dig into the stash way to much. The other day I found some dried pequins at the local grocer and bought several packs to supplement my pequin lust. I was running low on hot sauce and a few hosky's and shot's of tequila influenced me to whip up a batch with the dried pequins. Comparing the store bought next to my home grown was easy. First the color. More brown streaks and earthy tones with some flash's of red whereas the homegrowns are a bright red...you'll see in the pic. Another big surprise was the aroma. Smokey Smokey! Much like chipotle's. Excellent! Popped several in my mouth and wow! Smokey sharp pequin flavor! CAN....YOU....DIG....IT....YA'LL!!

IMG_1428.jpg

I started with 3 packs of the pequins, and began rehydrating in apple cider vin and heated in the mic. Stirred every 5 minutes or so for an hour until soft and plumpy!

IMG_1418.jpg

Next into a sauce pan with carrot, shallot, garlic, a couple of chopped fresno's for extra color. Brought that to a simmer for half and hour, then added the pequins and vinegar and the juicy squeezin's of several limes. Whir and stir, toil and boil.

IMG_1421.jpg

More to come ya'll...

Much obliged LC.

Since moving to north Texas from the big dry ditch, I haven't grown anything.

That will have to wait till spring of 2013.

I used to get dried pequins by the truckload when I was in LV but I can't find them here.

Central Market had fresh ones in 1 pound bags last year but I was so flush with chile's I didn't buy any.

I'd love to make the 3 P's sauce again, I just need the chile's and may have to wait till next year to do it.

I also have some wild tepin I have seed for and am very excited about adding them into the mix too!

They are pretty proud of 'em in these parts - 'bout 8 or 9 bucks an oz for dried pequin. Like the smokiness that the guajillos add and it is fun to see what other flavor profiles can be created by varying the variety and amounts of the other dried chiles. TP is a solid base for any type IMO.

Where 'bouts you at in N.Tex? I grew up in The Greater Denton Metroplex :)

I just picked up a Tepin plant yesterday from the pepperfest. I wasn't too excited about adding it to my inventory, but after reading good things about it in this topic, I am looking forward to what they offer. I've never tasted one before. Shall be interesting

RJ ~ You could smoke pequins yourself but you would need an awful lot of them to make it worth while. Its way more practical to buy them dried.

LC ~ I've been to that park. Once. You can see the north side of the old Dallas dam from there. I've fished that several times.

I just picked up a Tepin plant yesterday from the pepperfest. I wasn't too excited about adding it to my inventory, but after reading good things about it in this topic, I am not looking forward to what they offer. I've never tasted one before. Shall be interesting

Huh?

resurrecting this thread in hopes of getting suggestions about fresno pepper substitutions...
my local stores don't have anything red fresh except bells...
would rehydrating some Guajillo's work?

resurrecting this thread in hopes of getting suggestions about fresno pepper substitutions...
my local stores don't have anything red fresh except bells...
would rehydrating some Guajillo's work?[/quote guajillo would compliment pequin very nicely ]

----------------------
Edit: weird quote there lol

I don't have an answer to your question but you got a whole foods nearby? They always have red fresnos.

Zombie thread.

And what a coinky dinky.

I was just diggin' around for some pequin seeds to start.

I have some wild chiltepin laying around somewhere as well.

I've had this continuous thought that just won't leave me alone.

Like a speed bump that the pea spinning in my noggin keeps hitting.

A pequin/arbol/mango

Which is beaucoup dinky dao since I'm mildly allergic to mangos.

But I can't help it.

texas blues said:
Zombie thread.

And what a coinky dinky.

I was just diggin' around for some pequin seeds to start.

I have some wild chiltepin laying around somewhere as well.

I've had this continuous thought that just won't leave me alone.

Like a speed bump that the pea spinning in my noggin keeps hitting.

A pequin/arbol/mango

Which is beaucoup dinky dao since I'm mildly allergic to mangos.

But I can't help it.

Dm me that addy if you want some hogsweed seeds. Pequin x goatsweed

D3monic said:
Dm me that addy if you want some hogsweed seeds. Pequin x goatsweed

Muchas gracias kind sir but I have too many seeds already.

I have a stock of seed that originated from the pequin seed that Jonathan Passow i.e ImaGuitarGod sent me in the original thread starter.

And also some wild chiltepin seed too.

Back