• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

seeds Temp Concerns for Reaper seeds

Hi again,

Im wanting to get my reaper seeds in cups before long, so hopefully by spring I can have some fruit bearing plants I can have potted outside. I think im going to go with with the double cup start up, no lights yet but I have a table by a well lit window, my biggest concern can I get ( and keep) the temp up high enough for germanation. What can I do to get that temp up or should I just wait til i have lights to plants?

Also with the double cup set up Ive seen some grows that use seraan (sp) wrap to hold in moisture for humidity early on, is this a kosher thing to? Lastly how large do you all make the hole in the bottom for the plant cup? 3/8 is what Ive heard before.

Regards

Put them in baggies folded moist papertowel on a regulated heat mat 90f then when the little tail first comes out put in seed starter soil in the cup covered by plastic wrap and rubber band. Couple holes in bottom are enough.

D3monic said:
I'd wait until at least january to start seeds. Every year I always end up starting too early and then I got 80-90 plants 3' tall tipping over and fighting for light. 
This is something I thought about as well but my seed count is small so my resource needs shpuld be small also. I want to have a fleet 8-10 plants in total for now, I have reapers, naga vipers, butch t ghosts, morgua scorpions, lemon drops and tree habaneros to choose from and seed counts dont exceed ten in total for any of them. Considering I am a novice at this but also I am looking to stay small would it still be advised to wait?

cdubb2010 said:
This is something I thought about as well but my seed count is small so my resource needs shpuld be small also. I want to have a fleet 8-10 plants in total for now, I have reapers, naga vipers, butch t ghosts, morgua scorpions, lemon drops and tree habaneros to choose from and seed counts dont exceed ten in total for any of them. Considering I am a novice at this but also I am looking to stay small would it still be advised to wait?

I would unless you're investing in metal halide lighting and doing half your grow indoors. I'm usually starting to set pods indoors before I can plant out. I'm same climate as you. I start late January and ever time wish I started a little later. 

But worse that can happen is you have tall lanky plants inside. Mine is mostly area constraint as I got them on bakers racks in the basement. I finally got a greenhouse so hopefully I can get them outdoors before last frost. 
They get too rootbound on you it's going to have the opposite effect that you're hoping to achieve. 

They get too rootbound on you it's going to have the opposite effect that you're hoping to achieve.
You can get around this by feeding them light on the P and K. (keep them from rooting and fruiting) Keep them on a diet of something like the Alaska Fish 5-1-1 fish emulsion. Not the best thing for indoors - on account of the smell - but works well in a greenhouse. And anyway, it's a good baseline, if you can find a fertilizer that has numbers in that range.

Indoors, you can get away with a half strength dose. If you have a grow light that's mainly red and blue spectrum, you can pretty easily keep them a lot shorter, too.

depending on what your starting the seeds in, you can put them (e.g jiffy pellets)  in a plastic container and leave it ontop of an electrical appliance that's turned on all the time. e.g. modem, fridge, some TV decoders, etc etc. That will provide enough warmth for them to sprout assuming its not really cold where you are.

Better yet and my fav is the hot water cupboard :)

I know this goes against years and years worth of tribal knowledge, and corporate pseudo-secrets, but I always start my seeds in solo cups at room temperature. They always come up. :)

Back