• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Temperature and flowers

This is my first time growing peppers and was wondering if you guys could answer a few questions for me. First off my plants seem to be doing real well. I have two habs and two jalapeños. I started growing them in my apartment and moved them out side about a month ago. I live in Wisconsin and the night time temps around here are in the 60-40 degree range. At what temp should I bring them in at night? The day time temp is still in the 70-80 degree. (Cold July)

Also as the plants are starting to produce will it hurt the peppers if I help the flowers off the fruit as they grow?

Any input would be greatly appreciated

Thanks,
-Brian

Growth will slow a little if exposed to about 50F or lower.  It will slow even more below that, but it's only temporary except below 40F you may get some bloom drop/abortion.  A few days of warmer weather will help.   You have to weigh the effort you want to put into it and whether you're available to bring them in late in the evening and put them out in the morning, otherwise they'll be getting less light assuming you don't have a very powerful grow light setup inside, and that decreased light will also slow growth.

I never bring mine in unless they're forecasting a hard frost and even then, only those I don't have tarps or blankets to cover so long as it isn't getting down to  30F for more than an hour.  It never gets below that here until so late in the season that I don't have to worry about freak occurrence, early freezing temperatures happening by more than +- 2/3rds of a month early or late each year.  When that point comes I declare end of season and harvest or overwinter whichever applies.

Generally speaking it won't hurt the peppers to pull the bloom off unless you pull too hard and strain the stem, but on the other hand it doesn't help the pepper either to remove them.  They'll fall off on their own when the pepper gets larger so I'd just leave them on so there is no chance that pulling on them strains them.

The jalapenos are more resistant to cold weather than the habs, but freezing to the core will kill both and you'll probably find the habs losing leaves earlier in the fall once colder weather sets in.

Hi there and welcome, from my limited experience - it really depends if they have any kind of shelter from frost. They dont seem to mind the cold too much, its the frost they dont like.

Night time temps tonight are supposed to be about 4 deg C tonight here tonight, its been colder than that the last few days and we have had some heavy frosts. Its the middle of winter here :)

I have some plants that have lived outside the whole winter. The 7pots look like crap, and have lost 96.2% of their leaves. The cayenne is fine and is ripening pods..
Here is a 7pot jonah(its the stick plant lol) that I only just put into shelter..it obviously looks pretty bad - but it will be fine and is sprouting plenty of new growth since i moved it into some shelter.
20140716_1336331_zpsa1b6475e.jpg

On the other end of the scale, this is a tiny portion of my habanero plant that has rode the winter out in the grow shed thing. Its been shaded for much of the day, but the important thing is it was covered. It hadent looked at it for about a month untill the other day but it has hundreds of pods setting. They appear like they wont quite be full size but they are sure setting with a reasonable hit rate.
20140716_1336151_zpsc24ce13a.jpg

As far as im concerned plants will take a beating from direct frost. Frost makes stuff (leaves. buds, anything) fall off. 

I believe if the plants are old enough and have the correct stuff in the soil they will set pods (albeit small ones) as long as they avoid direct frost.
Im new to this but am doing the whole winter thing right now.. and this is my personal observations :)
cheers

EDIT: oh and dont bother picking the dead flower petals off the set fruit :)

nzchili said:
Night time temps tonight are supposed to be about 4 deg C tonight here tonight, its been colder than that the last few days and we have had some heavy frosts. Its the middle of winter here :)

What a joke of winter is this? :rolleyes:  Do not complain, man....
As nzchili stated, you could aslo build a shelter, or simply a frame and cover it over night. I did this early in the spring when put my plants in plastic cups outside. You have only 4 plants, will not be a big deal.

rghm1u20 said:

What a joke of winter is this? :rolleyes:  Do not complain, man....
As nzchili stated, you could aslo build a shelter, or simply a frame and cover it over night. I did this early in the spring when put my plants in plastic cups outside. You have only 4 plants, will not be a big deal.

I know im lucky, im not complaining :) its my first time keeping peppers over winter but so far it seems i can "overwinter" without actually doing anything.
I only commented because the OPs current temps are similar to mine, and i have seen the difference a simple cover can make..even with my joke of a winter :)  (which im grateful for!)
Cheers and have a great season

The cool stretch for you wont last long,and the morning sun will warm container plants up quick.You should be fine.

nzchili said:

I know im lucky, im not complaining :)

Just joking :P  But can't hold my horses when read this, comparing with the winters here (and hope nobody from Alaska read this, because will slap me with alaskian winter :P  )

But don't want to mislead the topic. As I said, a simple frame of metal, covered with a plastic foil, will keep a nice temperature inside, and protect the plants. I think is the simplest and easiest way to protect them.

Back