• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Temperature for hot peppers

I've got a little bit of an issue. Right now I'm growing two habs, one scorpion, and two jalapeños under eight t5 bulbs indoors at two feet away from the plants. I don't know the soil temp but the ambient temperature is 90 F or roughly 32 C right above the tallest plant (trinidad scorpion). The house stays about 72F or 22.2 C. Is this temp too hot? What is too hot? Night time temps don't go below 75F or 23.8C. Thank you.

No 90F is little hotter than ideal but not too hot, so long as it cools down below ~ 85F at night and you can water often enough (but I don't mean to overwater, only when needed).  Approaching 95F and above becomes more of a problem, even if they survive they droop their leaves enough that they won't catch as much light.

However a two foot distance is more than what is ideal.  Have you considered using a fan to refresh the air reducing temperature and invigorating thick stem growth?  That is what I'd do.

Yes I have done that Dave; even gone as far as pointing the fan at the bulbs. I know T5s are not supposed to put out very much heat but this fixture is a huge electrical appliance four foot electrical appliance.

Dave2000 said:
No 90F is little hotter than ideal but not too hot, so long as it cools down below ~ 85F at night and you can water often enough (but I don't mean to overwater, only when needed).  Approaching 95F and above becomes more of a problem, even if they survive they droop their leaves enough that they won't catch as much light.

However a two foot distance is more than what is ideal.  Have you considered using a fan to refresh the air reducing temperature and invigorating thick stem growth?  That is what I'd do.

+1 Dave. Good old Ohio know how. Where in Cinti do you hail from?

OP, two feet is HID distances, T5 bulbs should be closer.

Hang a wet hand towel over a coat hanger and pop it in with your plants.Its will raise the humidity which will help with high temps.Change the towel when it dries out.

Swampy_NZ said:
Hang a wet hand towel over a coat hanger and pop it in with your plants.Its will raise the humidity which will help with high temps.Change the towel when it dries out.
Wow how ingenious. Thanks swampy

Jeff H said:

+1 Dave. Good old Ohio know how. Where in Cinti do you hail from?

OP, two feet is HID distances, T5 bulbs should be closer.

I'm actually in KY, a suburb a few miles south across the river from downtown Cinci.

Back