• Politics are not permitted. There's plenty of places to discuss that elsewhere, and a hot pepper forum is not the place. Thank you for respecting the community!

Tennessee Fireworks?

A longshot I know. I will be travelling down I-65 through Tennessee to Alabama.

Any recommendations of a specific place that is well priced?

More importantly:

FOR THE BIG ONES THAT ARE WORTH THE $, which brand is best?

I am talking about the mortar style drop in fireworks.

Thanks Poisonette!

None really in my flight path though. They are just north in Indiana. Think they really sell the big ones there?

Last time i checked in order to purchase any mortars over 3 inches in diameter you had to have a valid pyrotechnic license.

Sickmont said:
Last time i checked in order to purchase any mortars over 3 inches in diameter you had to have a valid pyrotechnic license.

I know in Ohio 1.75" mortat is the cut off. (I was a Licensed Pyrotech for a few years til we blew ourselves up) The largest mortar I have fired (so far) was a 24" shell!

I used to go to "DEMO DAYS" at Kellners Fireworks in Pa. (usually around April 20th) and we would get real good deals there.

I know a lot about consumer fireworks and even worked on some Professional displays. Find a wholesaler and buy a case of WORLD CLASS Exacliburs, or BIG BAD BANGERS by United PYRO. ive been out of the loop for the year, but they were the best consumer 1.4g without question. never shop at any store that has buy one get one and always go wholesale. I know a guy in TN i can send a message to and he'll point you in the right direction.

As far as legality well anything lableled 1.4G is federally LEGAL in the USA for consumer use and is approved by the cpsc. Any 1.3g is considered an explosive device and unless you enjoy federal indictments, and bomb squad raids stay away. And as far as M-80 and blockbusters those are illegal everywhere in this country and are NEVER made legally FOR SALE regardless of the rumors you've heard. Some people have licenses to use them and make them, but that is VERY VERY RARE.

This site is very helpful and full of nice people, just follow the rules. www.pyrouniverse.com

Dyce51 said:
I know in Ohio 1.75" mortat is the cut off. (I was a Licensed Pyrotech for a few years til we blew ourselves up) The largest mortar I have fired (so far) was a 24" shell!

I used to go to "DEMO DAYS" at Kellners Fireworks in Pa. (usually around April 20th) and we would get real good deals there.

He's correct 1.75 is the cutoff and I forget the amount of lift and flash allowed either but it's tiny and highly regulated.
24" those are 1.1 now i think. must have been nice to fire them when they were still around :(. I was invited to a kellners demo once, but never made it.

they do sell some cakes and single shot tubes that say 3" but it's just a small 1.75" shell wrapped inside the bigger ball. Shenanigans, dont fall for it.

FiveSix said:
He's correct 1.75 is the cutoff and I forget the amount of lift and flash allowed either but it's tiny and highly regulated.
24" those are 1.1 now i think. must have been nice to fire them when they were still around :(. I was invited to a kellners demo once, but never made it.

after our accident (explosion) we had Kellners invited me to come to their training program to talk about the importance of useing proper ready boxes. I do believe that 16" is the largest shell allowed in the U.S. now (they may even have cut it back more since I last saw)

FiveSix said:
Any 1.3g is considered an explosive device and unless you enjoy federal indictments, and bomb squad raids stay away. And as far as M-80 and blockbusters those are illegal everywhere in this country and are NEVER made legally FOR SALE regardless of the rumors you've heard. Some people have licenses to use them and make them, but that is VERY VERY RARE.

This site is very helpful and full of nice people, just follow the rules. www.pyrouniverse.com

Believe me I have first hand knowledge you do get into deep doo doo for m-80's and H-100's. Not to mention the atf regs have made it nearly impossible to get the chemicals needed to make them. Another good website to learn from is: www.pgi.org/

awwww fireworks, gotta love'em! who doesnt like fireworks.
get ya some beer, lighter (or torch for those multi fuses) ya got a good time :lol:

cheezydemon said:
People here go NUTS on the 4th.

There are artillery shells going off non stop from 6 or so until 2 or 3 in the AM.

thats heaven to me, I live in NJ where that is rare and illegal :(.

Back