• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Terminology Clarification

So, I'm not so totally new to Pepper Growing that I don't know what, say, Scoville Ratings are, or what Capsicum is. That's just common sense from a lifetime of eating spicy foods :fireball:

But on the matter of Pepper-specific matters, I'm in the dark. So, if anyone would be kind enough to answer me a few questions?

1.) What is nowadays considered the "spiciest pepper?"

2.) What exactly are "superhots?" Is it a specific family or just a grouping of very hot peppers?

3.) Do you refer to your peppers growing on the plant as "pods" or "peppers?" After harvest? Does it even matter? :neutral:

4.) I've seen "brainstrain" mentioned a few times, and I assume it's a variety of pepper. But, is it an actual type of pepper (like habanero, jalapeno, etc) or more of a nickname?

Just a few things that left me scratching my head. Thanks!

Palgrave said:
1.) What is nowadays considered the "spiciest pepper?"

2.) What exactly are "superhots?" Is it a specific family or just a grouping of very hot peppers?

3.) Do you refer to your peppers growing on the plant as "pods" or "peppers?" After harvest? Does it even matter? :neutral:

4.) I've seen "brainstrain" mentioned a few times, and I assume it's a variety of pepper. But, is it an actual type of pepper (like habanero, jalapeno, etc) or more of a nickname?

Just a few things that left me scratching my head. Thanks!
First off, welcome! Okay, so here goes:

1)The current "spiciest pepper" is kind of up for debate, as there are many that are flirting with around the same upper-end Scoville rating. The Trinidad Scorpion "ButchT" strain is technically the hottest, according to Guinness, with about 1.47 Million SHU. However, the Trinidad Morouga Scorpion has measured at about 2 Million, but not as an average rating.

2)Superhots is a general term for any pepper that eclipses about 600,000 Scovilles, such as Fatali, Bhut Jolokia, Naga Morich, 7-Pot, Douglah, Trinidad Scorpion, Brain Strain, etc.

3)Pods, peppers, who cares? Whatever term you prefer. I call them both, to be honest, but there is no clearcut line of demarcation as to when you should call them either term.

4)Brain Strain is a C.Chinense pepper brought to fame by Cappy (PepperRidgeFarms here on THP), and is similar to the Trinidad Morouga Scorpion. It is a dangerously superhot pepper that estimates to be around 1.5-2 Million Scovilles at the upper end.

Enjoy your time here on The Hot Pepper!

Thanks! That certainly clears some things up. I guess it's time to dive into Wikipedia and research more peppers :D

+1 to Hendrix for a great answer. And :welcome: to THP.

I don't know all the techinical stuff, someone can probably Wiki it up, but, I consider pods to be the thing hanging on the plant that will be harvested. There are lots of plants that have pods....peas, beans, vanilla beans, tamarind....

As to the spelling of chile-chilli-chili-chille.....they all seem to be appropriate depending on who or where in the world. I think of Chile/Chilli as to the whole plant as well as the harvested pods. Saying "Chile Pepper" has always seemed redundant...but I'm not a language major. Maybe others can shed some light?

salsalady said:
 Saying "Chile Pepper" has always seemed redundant...
Agreed.
Actually i don`t particularly like calling them peppers (but will do depending on who im talking with), because peppers are bell peppers in my mind and ive always called hot ones chillies - its a British thing i think.

As someone who doesn't eat bell peppers all that often...for me "peppers" are the spicy ones :surprised:

Bell peppers are bell peppers :p

Back