• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Texas Indoor Grow (First Time Growing)

Hey guys.

I'm brand new to the field of pepper growing. My brother and I live together and we're both big pepper guys and love hot, spicy food. The idea just sort of came to me one day to grow our own peppers, and it all just sort of stuck. 

In all honestly I've been looking for a hobby after my recent divorce and this one just sort of stuck with me. I've grown some basil in the past but wasn't very knowledgeable about growing plants (hurr durr, just water it and it grows). I did my research this time, looked up advice from indoor growers, and started my search for all the right stuff I'd need.

I love tending to my plants, but I gotta be honest guys, they don't look too hot (pun not intended). I'll give you the rundown on when I started up and the specifics of my peppers.

I ordered these varieties from TomatoGrowers.com, which some other pepper growers used. 

• Rocotillo
  • Bhut Jolokia
  • Red Thick Cayenne
  • Caribbean Red
  • Cajun Belle
Here are others I got from the generosity of my fellow pepper heads:
  • Gold Cayenne
  • Orange Thai
  • Fresno
  • Jamaican Hot Chocolate
  • Chocolate Scotch Bonnet
  • PDN x Bhut
  • Red Savina
  • Tepin x Lemon Drop
  • Yellow Fatali
  • Chocolate Habanero
  • Sweet Rocoto
  • Chocolate Brain Strain
The company also threw in some free tomato seeds for a purchase over $20, so I got some Red Rose Tomatoes growing as well. I live in an apartment, and we have no way to keep plants outside. Thankfully we have a large sun room that gets both east and southern sun through large windows, and for a time it was my main spot for the peppers before the cloudy days set in. This is what the setup looks like at the present moment.

Let's talk soil composition - I have one part potting soil mix, one part coco peat, and almost a part vermiculite. Threw out the old mixture for various reasons. Right now I am rolling with an organic seed starting mix instead.

Fertilizer - I use a mixture of two parts bone meal, one part potash, and one part urea (though I've only fertilized today, the 27th).

LightingI have two 85W fluorescent bulbs lighting them from 6AM to 10PM, but after being advised this might not be enough light I ordered two 105W fluorescent bulbs. In the future I am thinking of experimenting with LEDs, namely the 10W dual ones I can find for a reasonable price on Amazon. 400W HPS bulb, purchased from our very own PexPeppers.

Here are the peppers in question:

Rocotillo
Bhut Jolokia
Red Thick Cayenne
Caribbean Red
Cajun Belle
Red Rose Tomato

When I first planted I put two seeds in each cup, but then after a week or so I decided to add a third cup with a single seed in the middle. I've been tracking germination processes and the like, and placed it all on this handy Google Docs spreadsheet anyone can view. As you can see, for the majority I planted them on October 7 and the first germinated and sprouted on the 13th.

So, let's look at our problem plants shall we? Here are some closeups of the offenders:

Rocotillo Closeup: This is the saddest of them all, the leaves small and curled up, very dark green / almost brown.
Bhut Jolokia Closeup: Small leaves, brown spots on them as you can tell.
Cayenne Closeup: Some variety in shape here - one droops down and the other springs up. The stunted one I had to shed some kind of cap off.
Caribbean Red Closeup: Not much going on here, they look pretty healthy to me although small for being the first ones to sprout.
Cajun Belle Closeup: Again, some browning on the edges of the leaves like the Bhut Jolokia.
Tomato Closeup: Stems are long, but have stunted, and the leaves not as full as before.

So far this has been my routine with watering the plants: water once every two or three days, checking for soil dampness as needed (sometimes I can go three days before they need water, other times only two). 

If you guys have any tips or advice for getting these sad puppies off the ground I would be very thankful - I am not super knowledgeable even though I feel as though I have done my homework. There is a ton, and I mean a ton, of conflicting information about growing peppers (indoors or outdoors), but I know everyone has their own successes and failures and know what works best for them. Ray from the Praxxus channel on YouTube has been a huge inspiration in getting starting with growing because of his friendly Mr. Rogers attitude and great advice. 

Let me know what you guys think, and I hope to keep cataloging this experience for a long, long time. If you'd like to see the entire album here it is!

Hello Denton!
You gonna drive over to ZestFest later this month? Gonna be a bunch of folks there.
Your grow looks good man. Hope you have better luck than I do with maters. You should do a bunch of gorilla gardening in March at your school if you have extra seedlings/run out of indoor space!!

Chewi said:
Hello Denton!
You gonna drive over to ZestFest later this month? Gonna be a bunch of folks there.
Your grow looks good man. Hope you have better luck than I do with maters. You should do a bunch of gorilla gardening in March at your school if you have extra seedlings/run out of indoor space!!

Haha gorilla gardening? What is that?!

Moved more of the Chocolate Brain Strains up to condos.

SndA3Kv.jpg

I took the plunge!

I made an honest grow station out of PVC pipe I cut to specs to fit two containers. Height is about the same from the peppers, but with some wiggle room. Once my mylar arrives I'll be set to cover this bad boy!

1sNZou4.jpg

lwrhzBJ.jpg

If you're using soiless or seedling mix? You may need some slow release ferts. Or 1/4 recommended nutrients.

Maybe add some Epsom salt for magnesium difficiency - 1 tablespoon per gallon of water

chocolatescotchbonnet said:
If you're using soiless or seedling mix? You may need some slow release ferts. Or 1/4 recommended nutrients.

Maybe add some Epsom salt for magnesium difficiency - 1 tablespoon per gallon of water

This is my soil mix: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B002Y08J2A/

I was overwatering them for the longest time, and have only cut back within the last two weeks or so. Chilima pointed out there was too much water and they look better now than they did when I was watering them more frequently. I think they're just bouncing back.

Coup said:
This is my soil mix: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B002Y08J2A/

I was overwatering them for the longest time, and have only cut back within the last two weeks or so. Chilima pointed out there was too much water and they look better now than they did when I was watering them more frequently. I think they're just bouncing back.
I thought you were still using....

1 part soil
1 part coco
1 part perlite

Nice to see you got a bunch of plants, by the way!

So here's what is going down:

I talked to the guy at the nursery and he told me the municipal water has been testing more basic than usual - around 8.0 - 8.2. Since I've been watering with municipal water I decided to pick up some purified water to use in the meantime, and when the gallon empties out I'll just fill it up and stick it in my car for a few days to warm it up. It's supposed to get into the 70s here later this week.

He recommended this fertilizer for me, which I got. Sorry Chilima.

gTXNcUb.jpg

Cant be worse than current situation, can only get better and 5-7-3 is OK id go different ratios but still it is what it is

Back