• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Texas Pequin(piquin) type native pod - Photos and questions

EDIT: November 22, 2011 - NEW Photos posted below

-------------------------------------------------------

Hi all,

I am posting a few photos of a pod that my neighbor grows here in Austin TX.
The plant is about 4 feet wide by 4 feet high.
I have a thread in the Marketplace regarding seeds for these chillies, but thought it best to try a discussion on this subforum.

He has been growing this for years and says the fruit has remained consistent since he has been growing it. A few folks have mentioned to me that this pod is thicker fleshed and bigger than was expected of a TX pequin. Posting here to ask others of their thoughts and impressions of the size of this pod for a native TX plant.

These are new photos of some pods picked today, and of a pod cut open. The flesh is thick and crisp. First a little sweet, then some heat.

Please share thoughts and ideas. If interested in seeds, please see this thread.

http://www.thehotpepper.com/topic/26107-native-texas-chili-pequin-seeds-trade-1/

Thanks

pequin111911.png

pequin111911bx800.jpg

Pequin111911ax800.jpg

Mother bush
Geneschilitepinplantnov72011x800.jpg

Bigger pequins than I normally associate with this type of pepper. Wonder if they could have been crossed with something at one point.

I have several wild pequins, the round and the elongated ones. Mine were collected near the Rio Grande River.

Bigger pequins than I normally associate with this type of pepper. Wonder if they could have been crossed with something at one point.

I have several wild pequins, the round and the elongated ones. Mine were collected near the Rio Grande River.
you right

Is the growth habit of the bush about the same?

All the wild bushes I have seen are much smaller.

I will shoot you a pm with some seeds I have and let's see if we can trade out some seeds.

I like those big fat pequins

All the wild bushes I have seen are much smaller.

I will shoot you a pm with some seeds I have and let's see if we can trade out some seeds.

I like those big fat pequins

Sounds good, and these are good. Eating them now diced up on cheese and crackers.

Just a question but don't pequins point straight up on the plants? It looks from your pics that these pods bend down. If someone more experienced with the different pequins could confirm my thoughts please do. I am thinking maybe a hybrid with another pepper. Either way very cool.

Just a question but don't pequins point straight up on the plants? It looks from your pics that these pods bend down. If someone more experienced with the different pequins could confirm my thoughts please do. I am thinking maybe a hybrid with another pepper. Either way very cool.

Tomorrow I will try to get a close up shot of the pods on the bush.

Piquin is more or less generic and the fruits vary in both size and shape.

Piquin means small in Spanish.

There is quite a lot of naming cross-over between piquin and tepin, also.

Piquin is more or less generic and the fruits vary in both size and shape.

Piquin means small in Spanish.

There is quite a lot of naming cross-over between piquin and tepin, also.

Exactamundo!

Smiter, those pequins look just like the last ones I grew last year. Some grew up, some down, others sideways. My favorite chile.

Some new photos from today.

Ripe on the bush
Genes1x800.jpg

After the initial green phase they turn this purple/black color for awhile.
You can see them pointing up.
Genes2x800.jpg

This photo has the 3 color phases: Green, Black, Red
The front left pepper is in change from black to red.
Genes4x800.jpg

Another photo of the mother bush
Genes3x800.jpg

Brian,

The color phases are the same as the wilds I have growing at the track (business), but as armac mentions, those are both smaller plants and smaller fruit. Of course, they're also nowhere near any kind of formal irrigation, so that may explain it in part. They're also larger fruit than most of the wild-gathered stuff I've seen around here before.

Cool deal. Glad they're good!

I grew Super Chilies this year that had pods following that same growth/color pattern. They were green at first, then slowly faded to dark purple/black, and ripened to red. Foliage on those plants was very glossy, plants grew fairly tall for how little bushiness they exhibited, although mine only got to be about a foot tall. Pods on the plant that had the Pequin-shaped pods were hotter than the more elongated Super Chilies on the other plants, so I'm guessing that the Pequin has some genes somewhere "close at hand" in the Super Chili DNA, and they surfaced in my plant this year. Overwintering the 6 Super Chili plants I had this year, but didn't mark the Pequin-ish one, so I guess I'll grow them out this coming year and see if they come back, THEN I will isolate that plant.

Anyway, great job on these, Brian! Good luck next season!

Back