• This is the place to discuss all spicy commerical products, not just sauce!

review Texas Tears Sauce Review

Hi everyone this is my 1st review so bare with me please.....ok 1st things 1st these hot sauces have LOTS of potential but need a lil more work done on them. My 1st reaction when i tried them (keep in mind i tried them on my food and a full spoon full) I went STRAIGHT to my beverage and gulped it down!...It wasn't from the heat thou, it was from the vinegar! It was like taking a drink out of a bottle of vinegar! They have WAY too much vinegar in them and they are a totally thin sauce and look watered down kind of like tabasco but thinner. There was little to no heat to them and might be because i'm used to eatting hotter i don't know but then again it's only habanero. Didn't taste any kinda peppers in there what so ever and there were no chunks of anything in it, it was all liquid. But it did have a decent flavor to it once i strongly tried getting past the vinegar so as i said they do have potential. The garlic habanero one was by far the best of the 2 maybe because i'm a freak and i absolutely love garlic in almost everything! Now i've tasted TONS of hot sauces both good and bad.....if Texas Tears goes back to the lab with these and tweaked these 2 sauces a little bit and took out a good portion of the vinegar, thicken up the sauce and made it hotter they will have a really nice product here. Also maybe add some carrots and onions to it because i'm reading the label and 1 says Habanero Peppers, Vinegar, Salt and the other says the same with the addition of Garlic. Now as the sauces stand right now rating it 1-10 and giving my honest opinion....i'd give it 1.5 or 2 because as i said it does have potential. As for the heat.....I'd give it a 1.5 out of 10 it wasnt very hot at all.

Now the for the Artwork and the label itself.....I'd have to say it looks a little plain. But i'm very critical when it comes to stuff like this because i am a Graphic Designer. Gives me the impression someone is just making these at home and trying to sell them outta their trunk not very professional looking but i've seen worse. Now 1-10 on Artwork i'd give it a.......2 also.

So all around Product I'd give it a 2 with potential

If your interested in trying out a bottle yourself you can go to Kickstarter.com and search for "Texas Tears" or by going to TexasTears.com and clicking on the Kickstarter button or any one of their social media sites. The Habanero Sauce is what you will receive as part of your Kickstarter rewards. The Garlic Habanero Sauce is one of the custom flavors you can choose as part pf the $500 pledge awards.

I agree, this sauce has a lot of potential. I was pretty excited to take part in this public testing, so when my bottles showed up in the mail yesterday, I went straight for it.

Pourability

It has a very thin consistency like Tabasco, with that undeniable vinegar tang. Just like Tabasco, it comes out of the bottle a few drops at a time with each shake. I actually like this, as it helps me stop myself from overdoing it with the sauce. 4/5

Heat and Flavor

The heat is there, but not has hot as you would expect from a habanero sauce. The creator of this sauce said in a thread around here somewhere that he wasted to make a sauce that enhanced the flavor of whatever you were to put it on, and I think he hit the nail on the head. This is one of the reasons I keep going back to Tabasco, it helps the food, without changing the profile of what's on the plate, and this is exactly what Texas Tears does with their habanero blend. Overall, I'd give it a 3/5 for flavor and 2/5 for heat.

The habanero garlic sauce is pretty much what you would expect, a mild habanero burn with a garlic kick to it. Tasty, but again, not very hot, and very vinagery. One thing I noticed, after letting the bottles sit on my counter for a couple hours, the habanero matter will settle at the bottom of the bottle, and you can really see how much vinegar is in this sauce.

Presentation

The labels are very simple, which to me is just fine. I don't need fancy graphics, with bold colors to attract my attention. What's in the bottle is what counts. That being said, the Texas Tears logo, with the sauce flavor clearly defined underneath, and the easy to read list of ingredients were executed in a very classy, user friendly way. 3/5

All in all, I feel like this is a good sauce, that will be a great sauce after some minor tweaking. Kick up the heat, cut a little vinegar out, and you're good to go. As it is now, I think it will be a hit with fans of Tabasco that want to kick things up a notch. Well Done Texas Tears.

Overall, 3/5

Don't forget to check Texas Tears out of Facebook, Twitter, and at their website Texastears dot com.

I'm not a very big fan of Tabasco so i was prolly a lil harder on the sauce than you were and i LOVE the taste of the fresh chiles in my hot sauces but you're right it's not that bad for tobasco lovers but i'd still tweak it a lil

First off, i am no reviewer. i was just really intrigued and wanted some. plus, i like helping out people trying to get off the ground with their bidness.

I like the sauce. it is quite vinegary, but I like the tang. like Scratch and KC mentioned, it is like tobasco sauce, but to me that is not a bad thing. i first tried it on scrambled eggs, and kept reaching for the bottle to douse some more on. the heat was mild, but this allowed me to use more, which is better for a business because they will sell ten times more volume that some of the super hot sauces out there. Anyway, i had some with some hot Pot Roast Soup, and at first, was blowing on my spoon then putting five or six drops on it. the heat from the soup, REALLY brought out the habanero flavor. Almost a completely different sauce from the scambled egg trial. wow. still vinegary, but the habanero flavor seriously POPPED.

I too like the label and the design in its simplicity. it is almost refreshing after so many labels have sooooo much information on them. but hey, don't judge a book by its cover, right?

I would continue to by this sauce, especially if he keeps tweaking it from batch to batch. (there is always room for improvement) The vinegar is a little bit strong in comparison to other vinegar based sauces, but I drink pepperoncini juice so...

i am looking forward to trying this sauce on pizza, as the habanero flavor seems to come out more when doused on warmer (hotter°) foods.

heat i would mark: 3 out of 10
consistency: average (I am not picky about consistency)
overall likability: 7-8 out of 10

good luck Dustin! I hope you are successful with your sauce business! I think you really have something here, just keep working on it! Always, right? lol

For the record, vinegar is good stuff. Love that twang. And for nonpepperheads, most people seem to associate hot sauce with vinegar. Probably thanks to Tabasco. Of the hobby sauces I have made, the one that gets the best reviews from the extended family and friends  (and I make the most often) is the one with the most vinegar and moderate heat. That is what a lot of people want. 

Good luck with the sauce Dustin. I look forward to trying it some day. 

...but you haven't tried this particular sauce, right? So you can't really comment as to how the vinegar plays out here.

I agree vinegar plays an important role in hot sauce, but I'd have to try the sauce to comment.

Thanks guys. While I do agree with most of what has been written, I do feel like I need to say a few things. The reason my sauces have the consistency that they do is not entirely from too much vinegar. Most of the liquid is from the peppers themselves. Ideally, I would love to ferment the peppers in barrels or containers of some kind that let out the excess liquid, but that would require some kind of warehouse. That is my goal though, and eventually I will get to that point. I've been using a 1/2 peppers to 1/2 vinegar ratio, and I think the issue comes in when most of the pepper solids are removed due to my by hand straining techniques. The Kickstarter project I launched will actually help me resolve this, and I'll be able to purchase the right equipment to be able to blend the pepper mash into smaller bits, and then use a strainer that is much more efficient and allows more of the pepper to get though, while keeping the seeds out. The separation is another thing. I am avoiding using something like Xantham Gum because it contains gluten, and the idea behind my products are to keep them natural, and able to be eaten by anyone with any kind of allergy, especially gluten and dairy allergies.

The issue I have with making it hotter is that most people, meaning the ideal consumers that would be purchasing my products in the stores, will never be able to handle something such as a ghost pepper. I will eventually be making sauces with varying heat levels, as mentioned in my Kickstarter, and will indeed make something hotter than even you guys can handle without crying, but for now this is the level that I think most people are comfortable with. If I limit myself now to the 5% of the population that likes things insanely hot, I am going to be out of business before I even start.

As for the label, the only thing you should really be commenting on is the logo itself. Everything else is purely temporary, and was what I am able to create to be able to send out to people to test the product. Once I receive my UPC licenses (after my Kickstarter is funded), I will have a label done that contains the UPC, nutritional facts, ingredients, and look like an actual product label. If you want to see a sample of what it will look like, check out http://www.kicktraq.com/avcdn/texastears-001.jpg. That is the same designer that will be doing the label. And that too will come once the Kickstarter is funded, and I have the money to be able to do it.

Consider the sauce you are trying now to be version 1, and everyone knows version 2 is better...except when it comes to Microsoft. :)

When I say it could be hotter, I'm not asking to be lit up. I have plenty of sauces that do that already. I'm just saying that I expected a little more kick given it is a habanero sauce.

You know what after a couple months of trying this sauce on food i want to raise my rating of it...... heat i'd still give it about 2 at the most but as for the flavor id raise it to 6.5 maybe 7 on both 

Back