• If you have a question about commercial production or the hot sauce business, please post in The Food Biz.

Thai Buffalo Sauce Attempt

I'm planning on making some Buffalo Sauce using Thai peppers. I really wanted to use Cayenne, but the local farmer's markets didn't have any. It kind of surprised me. The only alternative I could find, for the time being, was Thai. I have no idea what the cultivar is, so I'm going blind into this.

Here are my jars that are almost done fermenting for me. I started 8/19/2019 so I'll let them go for another week or two. The jars have nothing but Thai and two Habanero peppers, I added, just for fun, cut into pieces and ~2.5% brine. I'm not good enough for a mash ferment, maybe later on.

20190914_172456.jpg

20190914_172533.jpg

I used the Ball plastic lids with a silicon ring. The rings really seal the ill fitting lids. Also, I used a 4 oz jelly jar as a weight. It works for my purpose with me using pieces of peppers instead of a mash. I got the grommets and air locks from a local brew supply store.

The sauce on the spin plate is Fresno peppers, with some dried Hibiscus flowers for sugar with some Cardamom pods and Marash flakes for taste. I also added 1/4 of the pureed peppers volume of the fermented brine, 1/4 volume of white vinegar and two teaspoons of garlic powder. It tasted great before I put it on the spin plate. I'm looking for a sauce instead of a liquid.

I'll update when I puree the Thai peppers. I am hoping for a 3.6 PH or less before any vinegar is added. We'll see what happens next.

(Yes, that is a Nintendo Entertainment System on the lower shelf. I still use it once in a while to pass some time. I have the Genie, so that helps.)

I had just a bit over four cups of mash. I added two cups of white vinegar, one cup of saved brine and one Tablespoon of Garlic Powder. A PH of 3.4. I'm happy with that.

34 PH after Vinegar.jpg

Now, it's going on the spin plate for a week or so:
On the Spin Plate.jpg

FWIW, I just used 2.5% - 3% brine solution of water and salt for the ferment. I didn't take into account of the weight of the peppers and water. I'm currently doing that with some Jalapenos right now. I'll report my findings later.

Hopefully, I can get a video of the sauce after the spin plate and food mill. I hope that it is hot and thick enough for wings. For now, I would say MEDIUM, which would work for my family.

Just another photo of red stuff in a Woozy bottle.

Buffalo Sauce.jpg

I ended up with a PH of 3.5, pretty much shelf stable but I still hot packed it in the Woozy bottles. I'm not concerned that I killed the probiotics, I can get them from other sources.

Sorry that I didn't take any photos, but those Thai peppers had a crap ton of seeds and hard skin. Putting the sauce through the food mill was more intense than I thought it would be. I had to split volume from the flask into two parts to get the sauce through the mill.

Maybe, next time, I'll run the mash through the food mill before I put the sauce on the spin plate. It was really thick and the spin bar had a hard time. I just use the spin plate and bar to help emulsify the vinegar and sauce. I really don't want to use Xanthan Gum to keep things from separating.

To me, nice taste (I'm biased) and medium heat, which the family will accept. Almost like Frank's, but with less garlic. I'll mix it with some melted butter and Worcestershire Sauce and see how it ends up on some crispy wings and legs. (Blue Cheese, not Ranch).

Tybo said:
How do you like that Intllab plate.  I've been considering buying one.
Nice looking sauce by the way.

Thanks.
If you are going to spin something that has the same viscosity (or a little more) as water, no problem. If you are trying to spin sauce, brine, seeds and skins, not really. Especially if you are trying 1600 ml or more. I got some spin bars that have the more aggressive rare earth magnets (~1 1/2") in the ends, but anything over 800 ml in volume, you don't visually see anything moving. I had about 800 ml of mash in the previous batch, and I could see a small vortex forming and movement through the flask. With 1600 ml, a bunch of clacking going on, but not so much to visualize. If I tried to speed the revolutions up, it would throw the bar to the side of the flask.

I have one more ferment working (jalapeno) and I plan to run the mash through the food mill before I start spinning. I can let you all know how that worked out. When I'm done this fall, I am thinking on replacing the magnets in the spin plate with rare earth magnets. Hopefully that will work better. I got this unit because it was cheaper than making my own. You sometimes, get what you pay for.

Tybo said:
How do you like that Intllab plate.  I've been considering buying one.
Nice looking sauce by the way.

Update: This time, I ran the mash (Jalapenos) through a food mill (after the food processor step) before I put it in the flask. It is working just fine. The heavy mash was too much for the spin plate and spin bar. I don't have a huge vortex but everything is spinning and churning inside the flask just like I wanted.

Back