• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

chinense Thai Hot Pepper My Bhut

My wife picked up some pepper plants at the local nursery. She bought a Scotch Bonnet plant, a "Caribbean Red", and a "Thai Hot" pepper.

The "Thai Hot" pepper already had a pepper on it, and when I took a good look at it, my first reaction was "NO WAY this is a Thai Bird Pepper!"

IMG00094.jpg

Look at that huge pepper on there!

IMG00095.jpg

The new peppers starting are pointing downwards!

IMG00096.jpg

And here's some good info, this is called a "Capsicum Annuum" and I know for a fact that the bird pepper is frutescens.

What pepper is this?

My layman's guess is a cayenne.

Ya, looks like a cayenne which is also a C. annuum just like thai peppers. Were you expecting a C. frutescens?

Pick that bad boy ASAP, don't wait for it to get ripe. That way the plant will have a chance to grow. I would pinch the new buds for a while too.

POTAWIE said:
Ya, looks like a cayenne which is also a C. annuum just like thai peppers. Were you expecting a C. frutescens?

Wow, there are a lot of different "Thai" peppers, huh? I was assuming it was "the" Thai pepper---what I've come to recognize as the one they give me in thai restaurants diced in a little bowl next to my other condiments because I keep asking for fresh diced pepper to put on my already extremely hot food: the thai bird pepper.

http://www.thechileman.org/results....t=Any&origin=Thailand&genus=Any&submit=Search

Seems my pepper could be any one of a half dozen annuum peppers from Thailand.

bigt said:
Pick that bad boy ASAP, don't wait for it to get ripe. That way the plant will have a chance to grow. I would pinch the new buds for a while too.

I picked it and bit the tail off to see what it tasted like. No heat, very bell-pepperish tasting (not to my liking) though I know all the heat's up on the placenta side.

It has me wondering though whether it would eventually turn red or if it's the green-when-ripe variety?

I'm going to bag it with an apple and see what happens.

Update!

Ok, so four of the peppers are going red. I picked the ripest and took pictures. It's all crinkled, like it's dry or something but the plant (and the stem it was connected to) are quite healthy. It's in my garden which gets plenty of water and there are healthy plants growing on all sides.

What makes it look so crinkly?

I ate it, it was hot! and it tasted a bit capsicummy mixed with a floral fragrant sort of flavor. Definitely gave me a good burn... more than say a jalapeno would.

Does this help ID the pepper? It was pegged before as a possible cayenne or a thai dragon? Seems thinner and smaller than the thai dragon and crinkly-like.

IMG_5115.jpg

IMG_5114.jpg

Looks like it already started to dehydrate before you picked it, not too uncommon with thin-walled chiles. I don't really know how to explain it, but it's like the mother cuts the umbilical cord and stops supporting the baby when it is ready to do it's thing;)

The heat was pretty good. Gave me a strong, "clean" burn (where the Habs give me a harsher "dirty" burn) for a good 10 minutes. Definitely some heat to tap for future recipes.

These are the first peppers it's produced, and it already had a few tiny ones going when I bought the foot-high plant, so maybe once the starter plant got planted, it diverted most of its energies to getting bigger and growing and cut off the peppers a little---making them a little dried looking.

The seeds were healthy inside. There was no discernible rot either visually or in flavor.

you could also explore the thought they could be kung pao chiles, I also agree the recent pics of the chile pods are starting to dry even though they're not ripe yet.

Back