• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Thai Ornamental Bonnies RIGHT SIZE??

My Home Depot thai impulse buy seems to be growing very prolific but TINY. Leaves and fruits are half the size of a normal pepper ir even smaller? Its like a dwarf? Possible? Genetics??

Yes, that's how it's supposed to be based on the descriptive info on their site. Says it produces 1 foot tall plants with inch long (very prolific) fruits - all seen here- http://bonnieplants.com/product/thai-hot-ornamental-pepper/

From the majority of the reviews, it sounds like a great little plant to have taste/heat/yield wise (considering the more plants the better as the fruit is so small). Makes me really want to have some now!! Seems like a great impulse buy to me as most ornamental Thai's aren't really so great for eating- you just perhaps weren't expecting its smallness. Hope it it turns out well and really pumps out the peppers for you!!  ;)

It is cute. I had a problem with ine habaner of theres that is hanging on in ICU...but the other hab I bought at the same time seems my star plant.

I have never had a problem with Bonnie Plants.  However, I try to avoid them cause they are category killers. Would rather my money help smaller operations.

That is exactly how that plant should be and you may end up picking 500+ pods from it. I love those plants and use them part of a blend however mine are not from Bonnie and I grow from seed. 

I will take picture. For the record the leaves and pods on this are less than an inch. I guess I expected chili arbol size pods. These are tic tac size...assuming they grow?

thai-hot-ornamental-pepper-plants.jpg

Yeah my flowers are bigger than the leaves though. I havent been able to get outside.
Yeah my flowers are bigger than the leaves though. I havent been able to get outside to take a photo
Leaves definitely look nothing like that. Little tiny things like the early leaves in all my other plants, but rhey never grow any bigger.

I grew one last season and loved it and I don't know why I didn't grow another one this year. I had 3 separate harvests from the one plant with Hundreds of little fire cracker peppers.

and yes it is early in season but these are the Bonnies

about 8 inches no big shade leaves at all

O4gIQyZ.jpg

jN5JcFc.jpg

four inches or so and no growth this is like a 1 gallon pot it never grew at all

now my other plants look like this

eCzvpLL.jpg

and yes it was watering day so the soil looks wet.. give it a few hours it's 87 degrees right now

the huge Habanero in the red pot actually is a Bonnie too and is my best looking plant at the moment.

Anyone have one they've overwintered? Do to stems thicken up? If so, looks like a great candidate for a bonchi.

Fitsea said:
Anyone have one they've overwintered? Do to stems thicken up? If so, looks like a great candidate for a bonchi.
I had the same plant for many years and the stems get woody. I finally lost my plant to whiteflies after about 3 years when I went on a long vacation. 

Back