• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification.

Thai Pepper "Prik Ki Nu" Mouse Turd

Buddy of mine knows I like to grow chili's and asked if I knew where he could get some Prik Ki Nu Thai peppers. Told him no but I may know some folks who can help. So I leave it up to to all of you. Anyone know where I guy could get some of these seeds or plants. I'm willing to buy, swap or steal, just let me know.

Thanks everyone.

Hey Patrick,
My Vietnamese neighbor gave me some seeds from a plant he has overwintered for 8 years! This was about 3-4 years ago and I have been saving seed ever since...The closest thing I can narrow it down to is Pri Kee Nu,"He doesn't know an English name" They are very small and thin.
7-6-10TinyThai.jpg

If you would like some just lemme know and theyre yours!
Kevin

Hey Patrick,
My Vietnamese neighbor gave me some seeds from a plant he has overwintered for 8 years! This was about 3-4 years ago and I have been saving seed ever since...The closest thing I can narrow it down to is Pri Kee Nu,"He doesn't know an English name" They are very small and thin.
7-6-10TinyThai.jpg

If you would like some just lemme know and theyre yours!
Kevin

Yes, those are the small prik kee nu (prik=chili/kee=shit/nu=rat); there is also a larger one on the order of 1-1/2" long. They both have about the same heat level.

I grew these the first time i grew chillis, i thought the plant was a spastic Tabasco but then i remembered that i planted it.
Didn't save seeds though, bummer.

Hey patrick I have the Thai Prik Kee Nu pepper seed your looking for, received in trade from thepodpiper several years ago and never grew them just not my type. Don't want to eat rat turd, so will put in the mail for you this afternoon. Hope that helps.

You guys are the absolute best. Cappy I would love to get some of your seeds thanks. Agree with not wanting to eat rat turd mouse turd any turd. Pepperfever I may hit you up after the harvest thanks. Spastic Tabasco, you're killing me Nova. AjarnV the info I gave is all the buddy had for me. I'll see what else I can find out.

Hey Patrick I have some Kona red pepper seeds looks close to a cousin of a rat turd and hot as hell!
also looking to trade for some white hab seed

You guys are the absolute best. Cappy I would love to get some of your seeds thanks. Agree with not wanting to eat rat turd mouse turd any turd. Pepperfever I may hit you up after the harvest thanks. Spastic Tabasco, you're killing me Nova. AjarnV the info I gave is all the buddy had for me. I'll see what else I can find out.

Most people are referring to the peppers in your picture; most westerners don't know there's another kind. Those little guys are excellent eaten raw with a sour (fermented) pork sausage and some pickled fresh ginger. Yum! Cheers.

Found this great forum while I was daydreaming about a Thai Scotch egg (it's a long story, but it worked out in the end), and I hate for my first post here to be perceived as negative ... but ...

I always thought prik ki nu was mouse shit chilli. Asked quite a few (Thai) people at work ... half said mouse=nu, rat=nu. Other half said nu=mouse, nu na=rat. At the pub a few (Thais) said nu=mouse, nu=rat, but the rest said nu=mouse, nu na=rat. When pushed re the size difference, a few (not from Bangkok) admitted they called rats nu krung thep. Which was quite funny (but they'd obviously never seen any rats in Soho Square during the Winter of Discontent -- we used to call them Ratzillas).

Got home and asked the wife and sis-in-law. Both said without a doubt (at all) that nu=mouse, nu na=rat. They're good Lanna girls. Obviously a regional variation, and not worth losing sleep about.

Having said that, a mouse shit is much closer to the size of the chilli in question than a rat shit.

And either is better than the slightly effete ''bird's eye chilli''.

Hey'ya Patrick, these are the Thai's that I grew last year. I have plenty of seed to send BUT the problem that I'm having is that I am flat out broke and will have to wait until I get a few bucks to send em out. They're wicked hot and have a very nice almost spicy-herb-like flavor to them. They're my favorite. Being that I'm unemployed Ive no idea when I'll have a few extra bucks next but if you PM my your address I'll send some out as soon as I can. Hope this helps!

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

[background=rgb(245, 245, 245)]Hello[/background][background=rgb(245, 245, 245)] [/background][background=rgb(245, 245, 245)]friends[/background][background=rgb(245, 245, 245)].[/background]

[background=rgb(245, 245, 245)]I have [/background]
[background=rgb(209, 183, 151)]Prik Ki Nu Suan[/background]

[background=rgb(245, 245, 245)]I think[/background][background=rgb(245, 245, 245)].[/background]

[background=rgb(245, 245, 245)]Value [/background]
[background=rgb(245, 245, 245)]Not[/background][background=rgb(245, 245, 245)] [/background][background=rgb(245, 245, 245)]money [/background]

[background=rgb(245, 245, 245)]pm me![/background]

I also have prik kee noo suan seeds. My plants produce a shorter, rounder pod than what I see in the first few pictures but look very much like what Neil is eating. I got them from a doctor that brought them back from Thailand in the 70's so they have had almost 40 years of isolation and are probably a bit different. They have become my favorite pepper to graze on when out in the garden.

This is my first year to grow Prik Kee Nu, so I can't say what the fruit from these plants will look like. I can say, however, that the little sprouts are growing really well. Five out of six seeds germinated, which is real good for bird type chiles. (In the photo below note the row of Texas Piquin on the left, very close cousin of Prik Kee Nu—Germination rate was far lower.)...Seeds came from Junglerain http://junglerain.com.au

IMG_1438.jpg

jedisushi06 said:
I just planted some seeds i got of this from one of the seed trains i was on.  ANybody got any pod photos too share?

Which one? The rounder ones or the pointed ones in joyner's post? If you planted the rounder ones, there is a good amount of pics towards the end of the prik ki nu suan growdown last year. 
Spoiler pic from the growdown. this was my final pic. 
20130810_184647.jpg

Back