• General food and cooking questions, discussion, and recipes. To blog your food or to create (or post in) a community food thread, please post in Post Your Eats!

recipe-help Thai Recipes?

1st this should be in the recipe section.
but yea I have some thai pork recipes (have a thai recipe book), any preferences for ingredients or flavor ? & why no fish oil ? the ammount used is small enough where you dont taste it (fishy taste), they also use oyster sauce.

habaneros are not used in thai recipes, but doesnt mean you cant use them instead of thai/cayenne type chiles.

yeah, I've never seen a Thai recipe that uses habs specifically but there's plenty that use pork and red or green chiles. pork goes really well with habs so just find a Thai pork recipe you like and hab away my friend.

Pork Sate, and throw some crushed habs in the peanut sauce.

I have some family from Thailand, and you won't really find any authentic recipes that use habs, since they aren't native to the region. All you need to do is find a Thai recipe, and add habs to it. Also, most authentic Thai recipes are vegetarian, or have fish. So just add pork or substitute.

Please bear in mind that each region of Thailand has a different cuisine, the northern being more "Chinese," and the southern being more "Indian."

Traditionally, Thai dishes incorporate ALL flavor catagories in every meal, i.e. sweet, spicy, hot and bitter. A good Thai meal will be all of the above, at once. It's a totally weird thing to adapt to, it can be overwhelming. But it's a wonderful thing to try once in a while.

Try this, for a start. A coconut-curry sauce is a really good starting point for Thai dishes. Make the sauce, then just stir-fry your meats & veggies, and pour the sauce on them when serving.

1(13.5-ounce) can light coconut milk
1 tablespoon Thai curry paste
2 tablespoons curry powder
2 teaspoons minced fresh ginger
3 cloves garlic, minced
Dash cayenne pepper
Salt and freshly ground black pepper

Adjust this to taste. You might want to add hab's into the sauce, or you could stir fry them with the veggies and meat. You could use hab powder instead of cayenne, etc.

Oh - one more thing - when you stirfry your meats & veggies, don't fry them in butter or olive oil / vegetable oil. Buy some coconut oil (it's like lard), and fry in that.

You guys are making me crave some thai again:lol: Whenever I get thai I like it extra hot with, some coconut milk and squid. Whatever else is in there is good, but it seems all of the ones I order have those three. I've never thought of habs in it, but it could probably taste pretty good.

Back