• Politics are not permitted. There's plenty of places to discuss that elsewhere, and a hot pepper forum is not the place. Thank you for respecting the community!

@#$% that burns!!

Gotta any PAINful stories? Share!

Bubba, maybe you can talk about that contest you won. The pictures are awesome, but I'd love to read a blow by blow narration of the event. Details of who died on what sauce. Which one almost did you in, etc.

PEDRO's

Some Fridays at work we go out to eat. A favorite is Pedro's Mexican Restaurant. We always ask for the wicker basket full of hot sauces, and we go to work trying them all out. They have a great range, anything from weak red vinegar, up to Pure Cap, which you have to ask for specifically, since they have it locked up.

One of my friends is from Australia, and of course his nick name is Aussie. One lunch he grabbed what he thought looked like the most innocent looking hot sauce: Dave's Insanity, and just poured it on. He started to sweat, and then we had a discussion (that should have happened earlier) where I set him straight and told him he picked the hottest one in the basket. He ended up having to take a breather and disappeared in the bathroom. He eventually came back and sat down next to me. He looked a little pale. He leaned over closer, and whispered to me: "It burns down there".

I laughed and said: "You didn't wash your hands did you?".
"Nope."
"It's going to fall off now."
"What??!"
"Just kidding. It's happened to me before, it'll go away."
"Thank god!"

PEDRO's #2

The most memorial Pedro visit was with Pure Cap. After a few of us tried a drop, one of my friends got a hold of the bottle and started to douse a chip in it. It was completely soaked. There was a guy there that SAID he liked hot sauce, so we started taunting him to eat it. We all got our wallets out and started putting money in the middle of the table. 50 bucks total to eat the chip.

Well, he chickened out so fast, it wasn't even funny. But then a guy that doesn't even like hot food said he'd do it. You could tell he was desperate for the money.

The anticipation was high. Man, we were getting rowdy. I started to giggle, we were all laughing and talking loudly. I can't imagine what the other patrons were thinking of us.

When we found out that he thought Tabasco was hot, we ordered him a glass of milk to have afterwards. When the waiter walked by, he grabbed him, and asked, "What will happen if I eat this chip?"

"You'll probably die."

hahaahah! I can't believe the kid said that! I was worried for a second that maybe the guy would back out. But, he kept the course.

Finally, the moment came. He popped the chip in, and chewed. Swallowed.
We all waited.

"Hmmm, that's not so bad," he said as he scooped up the money.
"Oh wait, it's getting hotter now."

Eventually the burn built up, and he chugged the glass of milk. And our water. And ordered another. Now we started laughing again as he did the ol' mouth-is-open-at-all-times trick.

Eventually we left. When we were outside going to our 2 cars, I saw him EAT SNOW. I asked him why, and he said that he didn't think he'd survive the car ride back. (3 minute car ride!)

the event was at a local radio station rock 92 out of greensboro... i supplied the hot sauces and they suplied the victims. pretty mutch i did a color and info on the hot sauces for the radio station..i didnt participate. i brought several sauces and they supplyed a cpl im trying to think of the order i put it in...4 i think was daves insanity..number 5 was da bomb... 6 was brain damage...7 was possible side effects 8 was blairs 3 am (some of the pictures have it where im droping it out with the dropper) of course the picture of the moron in the flame hat is me. 9 was z and 10 was magnum 357
good thing we had these morons sign a waiver 2 of em ended up in the hospital. the one pic of the chick she says half way thru the competition she has a peptic ulcer(how bright is that) i pretty mutch just administered the pain and made color commentary. the guy in the picture laying down he went down after the daves insanity sauce.

bubbaschili said:
i didnt participate.

Sorry about that. When I read somewhere else that you won the Bubbaolympics, I thought that was this. I realize now that they're 2 different things.

Cool event. I want to do something like that here.

And build me a suitcase like that!!

the front of the suitcase has the biohazard stickers and all...... well you were correct on the bubbalympics in 2002 i won first place in bubbalympics my signature move was downing a bottle of hot sauce....the next 2 years i came in 2nd place. :(

Bubba's modest so I'll share. A couple of years ago I helped him out (aka stirred) at a BIG chili event and witnessed the Bubbanator run off an arrogant jerk with nothing but hot sauce.
It was a beautiful day and all was going well. There was a HUGE turnout of, both, cooks and patrons. We had a pot of "Regular" and a pot of "Bad Attitude" and we rang the chili-shapped clangor whenever someone requsted "Bad Attitude." We were selling beads, applying temporary tattoos, dishing out tast cups (and bowls) of Bubba's chili, and generally having a blast.
Then a guy swaggered up to our humble little stand and said, "gimme' some."
I politely asked "Regular or Bad Attitude?"
To which he inquired, "huh?"
I elaborated, "hot or mild, pal?"
Then he complained, "all you guys say your chili's hot and I've tasted 'em all and they aint @*%%!"
"Bubba," I said, "this gentleman says the chili lacks heat."
So Bubba finished a delicate tattoo application and came over to assist the fellow.
"I have something for you right here, sir" he said as he twisted the cap off of a bottle of Dave's Ultimate Insanity Sauce.
He then proceeded to "liven up" the man's medicine cup of Bubba's Bad Attitude Chili with a generous dollop of brown lava.
"Stir that in real good, sir" Bubba advised.
"Whatever" the jerk replied before he tossed the capful into his gaping mouth.
What happened next is forever stored with my most treasured memories. The fellow squinted and chewed a few times, swallowed, opened his big mouth and gave the 'ol "aaaa" sound, as if to say "that aint @*%%!" Then he furrowed his brow, licked his lips, widened his eyes, and yelled "Jesus, what the hell am I supposed to do now?!"
I has too astonished at the man's "conversion" to reply and Bubba was too busy giggling to reply so the man LITERALLY RAN AWAY!!!
When I finally regained my composure I said "couldn't have happened to a nicer guy."

i was hoping the clayminator would have elaborated on that particular event.....the best thing i enjoyed about that was the 2 or 3 min that he couldnt even speak...i kept saying something like.........what?? you want some more???
ill post you a funny one tommorow that happened to me at the eden apple festival.
right now i got to get some sleep.

Hahahah, that's great stuff. Keep em coming!

Mall Of America

Back when I was a tongue-virgin, and putting small amounts of Tabasco in my food to "spice it up", I burned myself pretty badly.

I was at the Mall Of America, and they have a hot-shoppe on the 2nd or 3rd floor. I was taste testing all sorts of salsas, and eventually settled on the perfect one. It was good, and a just a little bit spicy.

Well the next day when I was at home, I pried the top off my jar and got ready to wipe out a bag of chips. I put a little dab on the corner of my first chip and ate it. I don't know what the @#$% they sold me, but it wasn't the one I picked!!

I flipped out and chugged all the pop in my apartment. Thankfully I only had a 6-pak, cuz that sure didn't help at all. It must have taken me 20 minutes to return back to normal. Boy was I pissed about the wasted jar of salsa. I had to throw it away.

I sure wish I knew what brand it was. It would be great embarressent to try again. I know that at the end of my last event, I wasn't even able to taste the Dave's Insanity Salsa that I had.

Oh, well, we were doing a show a couple of weekends ago out in Van Kleek Hill, street festival. And there was a young fellow dressed in a gingerbread man costume. He approaches our booth with great curiosity and asks what we do...

I tell him that we make hot sauces.

He says "oh, I'm afraid they'll be too hot for me."

I said, "really? Well how about the chocolate, do you like chocolate?"

He says, "Of course, who doesn't like chocolate?"

I give him a dollop of the Chili Chocolate Passion. He discreetly lifts the hood of his costume just enough to slip the sample stick into his mouth.

The next thing I know, he's jumping up and down screaming his head off! "That's hot!"

I reply; "Of course it's hot, we make hot sauce."

He says; "But it's chocolate, it's not supposed to be hot!!"

I swear, big baby carried on the whole rest of the afternoon and to add insult to injury, we had people approaching our booth all afternoon to tell us "You hurt the gingerbread man". Little old ladies wagging fingers at us.

Sheesh, it's a lucky thing I didn't give him the Fusion Fire!

T

Thai Restaurant

Way back in my Tabasco days, I found myself at a Thai restaurant with some friends. I looked at the menu and ordered something that had a picture of those little 'peppers' next to it. The waitress then informed me that the way it works there, is you can order it from 1-to-5, depending on how hot you want it. Being a self proclaimed hot-head, I ordered it at a 5.

The meal came out and all went smoothly. It was really good. Until about half way through, that is. I pretty much got schooled in the way of true heat.

My nose started running something fierce, and I couldn't keep my mouth closed due to the heat. I took a two minute break until I thought I was back to normal, and commenced to eating. 3 bites later, it was as if I never took a break! That was the day I learned about heat building up, stacking, etc. For a while, I attempted to take a few bites, wait a few minutes, take a few bites. Eventually I admitted defeat, it had officially kicked my ass. I think I finished filling up on bread for the rest of the meal. I had already run out of napkins to blow my nose in afterall.

Not a funny story or anything, but here is the part I wanted to relate: The waitress came back later and we started talking... She said that they used a little thimble full of their magic powder to spice their dishes up. When you order from 1-to-5, it meant they added 1 to 5 thimblefulls of their powder. She then further kicked me in my manhood by explaining that they had contests there once a month where the (mostly Asian) compatriates would see who could eat the highest, with it typically ranging in the 15 to 23 range!

Wow, I thought.

Of course now, I am seriously wondering if I could find that place again, and try it out.

Quaker Steak & Lube

We have a new wing place in town called the Quaker Steak & Lube. My co-workers and I have frequented it quite a few times. I'm always invited, because they have the "Atomic Wings" which if you eat, they give you a bumper sticker and put your name on the Wall of Flame.

They're spicy, but nothing too extreme. We've had a couple others besides me 'survive' and get on the wall, so the novelty has worn off. Thus, I have attempted to have some fun on subsequent visits.

A favorite is to act like a complete noob when they come out with the waiver for me to sign. I start asking questions like, "What's this for? Are these really hot? Are they hotter than the Ranch flavored ones?" The waitresses usually start to panic, and look like they're wondering if they could sprint back to the kitchen in time to cancle the order. Unfortunately my friends always bust out laughing and the waitress asks if I'm pulling their leg. Yes.

The last time we were there, I went a different direction. Instead of the normal order of 8 with a side of fries, I upgraded it to 15 with no sides. (Same price) Her eyes went wide, "Wow, I've never had anyone order that many". I then asked if I could get extra sauce on the side. She said, "Ranch or Blue Cheese?". I shook my head.
"Oh, you mean MORE of the Atomic sauce?????".
"Yes please!"
"Um... ok".

She frequented our table quite a few times during the first half of the meal. She kept asking if I was ok, and I needed anything (Fire hose, etc?) After a while she realized that I was going to survive just fine. And infact was enjoying myself as I dipped each bite into the tub of sauce she brought out.

When I finished, with what was essentially the best meal I've ever had there, the cook came out to meet me. LOL. He just wanted to meet the man who ordered the extra sauce and shake his hand!

We talked for a while. He said that the company used to have a wing sauce 6 times hotter, but no one ever ordered it.

Bummer.

Hot wing sauce? I gotcha one....

Dustin,

Hey, I'm a vet of the spiciest wings from "The Lube," and I can do one better.

Pick youself up a bottle of the Nate Dog's Killer Wing Sauce, either the 12 oz Extreme or Stoopifyin', from www.cajohns.com. We have a bottle of the Extreme in the fridge, and it utterly pollutes with heat anything it touches. It does taste good, and then overwhelms your palate. Tried it on chicken breasts made on the grill, and no one could finish one without a quart of milk. :(

- J

Re: Hot wing sauce? I gotcha one....

LinNJoe]Pick youself up a bottle of the [b]Nate Dog said:
' date=' either the 12 oz Extreme or Stoopifyin', from [url']www.cajohns.com[/url]. We have a bottle of the Extreme in the fridge, and it utterly pollutes with heat anything it touches. It does taste good, and then overwhelms your palate. Tried it on chicken breasts made on the grill, and no one could finish one without a quart of milk. :(
- J

Heheh. Sounds like a plan!

My father-in-law bought me a huge jar of Nate Dog's Wing Sauce. But I can't remember what flavor. Probably just Hurtin', since I ate it all in one sitting. I also suck at making wings... have yet to remember to cook them a while first and have the grease run off. Waste of sauce otherwise.

By the way, where' the Stoopifying flavor? I only see "Extreme" on CaJohn's site.

Back